Compaq Laptop Issue

amya2

Beta member
Ok short and sweet.
About 4 months after the warranty my laptop stopped working correctly. I turned it on one morning, it sounded like it was starting up, but it did nothing. It won't charge or turn on. So I called around and was told that it was:
A) The charger
B) The charger plug in where it connects to the motherboard
C) The hard drive
D) The motherboard

We ruled out A. We went and bought another charger, this time with a light to prove the charger itself was working, and nothing happened.

I have a strong suspicion it is B. I'm no computer expert, but from what I read it highly sounds like the problem. I started to realize something was wrong with my computer when I would plug it in and play for a while and it suddenly die, only to realize my computer wasn't lighting up at the charger port. However, when I shifted it different ways it worked fine and would light up for a while. Then it didn't do that anymore.

So what could I try to prove it is the charger port and not something being oh-my-god wrong with my computer that's going to cost me an arm and a leg (not literally) to replace? Should i buy another battery and try it although i'm not sure how i would charge it to test it?

Last edited:
well an easy way to check the charging port is while the laptop is on. mouse over the battery icon in task bar and it should tell you if the battery is pluged in or not you can try giggling it around to see if it losses conection if it dose then you can say it is the charger port i had mine replaced after my wife droped it off the bed and it cost around $130 au

well an easy way to check the charging port is while the laptop is on. mouse over the battery icon in task bar and it should tell you if the battery is pluged in or not you can try giggling it around to see if it losses conection if it dose then you can say it is the charger port i had mine replaced after my wife droped it off the bed and it cost around $130 au

I don't mean to be rude, however I stated within the first post that the computer will not turn on.

When you have the charger plugged into the laptop, does it wiggle and feel loose?

Since you said it charged when you held it a certain way, I'd say it's the power jack on the laptop.

You'd need to open it up and see if the power jack is a separate module connecting to the motherboard, or if it's actually part of the motherboard.

If it's the former, you'd just need to find a replacement part. If it's the latter, then you'll either need to resolder the jack so it's secured onto the motherboard or need to buy a replacement motherboard or new computer.

When you have the charger plugged into the laptop, does it wiggle and feel loose?

Since you said it charged when you held it a certain way, I'd say it's the power jack on the laptop.

You'd need to open it up and see if the power jack is a separate module connecting to the motherboard, or if it's actually part of the motherboard.

If it's the former, you'd just need to find a replacement part. If it's the latter, then you'll either need to resolder the jack so it's secured onto the motherboard or need to buy a replacement motherboard or new computer.

Yes, when plugged up the charger does wiggle.

Back
Top Bottom