Compaq Armada V300 400MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
hello, I need to know how far I can maximumize the settings on this laptop.
I just bought it brand new off of ebay, currently it has celeron 400mhz mobile cpu, I have increased the ram from 64mb to 256mb. tomorrow I should get the power cord for it in the mail and the hdd caddy on wednesday which I will put my 20gig hdd in.
I tried google to find information about the max settings this thing can handle but the compaq website had very little information about their laptop, their the d*** guys who made it. :(
Any info on a complete upgrade solution for the cpu and hdd would be appreciated.

Last somebody dropped my armada 1700 laptop at my job and rendered the laptop useless that is why I got this one.

Hello,

What operating system will you be using?

You could increase the RAM to 512 MB (2 x 256 MB).

I will be using windows xp pro, the requirements for xp is 300mhz or higher with 128mb is minimum and higher.
The work I'll be doing on my laptop isn't intense tough work that will kill the cpu, but I need it at least to reach 400mhz to 750mhz if possible.

You can't really increase the CPU on laptops, laptops ARE NOT like desktops, you can't just swap CPU's like you can on desktops...

Your best bet would've been to just buy a 700/800MHz laptop on ebay used or refurbished, I am currently using an IBM ThinkPad A21p (Pentium3 850MHz) that I bought used on eBay for $165 (been using it for 2 or so years now no problem, had to replace the battery but other than that it's great). I'm running Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux just fine. I don't see why you bought such an outdated laptop, 750MHz or so is like the baseline for modern "usable" computers.

You probably can't take this past 600mhz. Tough to say since laptop mobos are quirky about what they will support but that's my best guess. Most Armadas are pretty easy to work inside so it shouldn't be a huge hassle to change the cpu but it might be more than it's worth since I can't guarantee the top speed it'll reach. Let me check out a few things and post back....

Internal Parts And Assemblies

Fastest available looks like a 400mhz P2 so kiss those hopes of big upgrades goodbye. Since they're selling the mobos/cpus as a kit here that usually means they're soldered on so it'd be harder to change yourself. Doable, but harder. You can plug these part numbers into ebay and see if anybody is selling them. I only use this site for reference--good selection but overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom