COMP PRESARIO V2000 doesn't recognise hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988jeepj10

Beta member
ok,

bare with me folks. I have a presario v2000 that work well and had no problems, until one day I got the blue screen. :freak: After attempting to reboot the os, xp home....The comp would shut down, and attempt to reboot. But it would give me a message saying HD or OS could not be found.:confused:

I began to suspect a faulty HD. Until I noticed the way the HD was held in place. I would would prop it with some shims....and it would work. It would power up and do fine. Until I moved it a certain way, and then it would try to reboot and not recognise OS.

Now, i thought the HD was faulty, but then I put it in an external enclosure and I am able to access the hard drive and all its contents.

So what is the actual problem. I would like to put this laptop back in service. however, your guidance is needed to direct me as to what part I need to buy.

Thanks!

Geno:freak:

Sounds like you've answered your own question, the connection is faulty :) What we don't know is whether it is the actual controller on the hard drive that is loose or if the adapter that connects the hard drive to the laptop is loose.

Since you said it works fine when enclosed, I would guess the adapter that connects the hard drive to the laptop needs replacing. See if you can find a replacement at a local store, if not see if you can purchase one through compaq. It should only be like a 5 dollar part.

IF that doesn't fix it the issue could be the internal connetor on the motherboard - in which you would have to either replace the motherboard or take apart the laptop and try to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom