clearing a BIOS password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ants-64

Solid State Member
Anyone know how to clear a BIOS password? I don't get the prompt to get into setup, so I have to hit ESC several times until I get a prompt to hit F1 for setup. Problem is, I get only minimal options, and in the box where it says password, it has a "registered" supervisor password. If I hold "F2" during boot, it beeps at me then goes into Windows anyway. I tried disconnecting the CMOS battery, had it off for 2 hours, and the password is still there. I did not see any jumpers on the motherboard. It's a Toshiba laptop. Also, the BIOS is ACPI ver 2.10. I also need to remove a password from a user account, but I've seen software I can purchase that says it will find the password, unless there is another way..... Thanks, Anthony

With Toshiba you will have to contact them and get them to clear it. There is a glitch in their BIOS that automatically sets a new password for some reason and you dont know it. Even if you managed to clear it now it will continue to happen.

They have to take it in and repair it. They should do it for cost of labor if not less. Since this is a known issue on several of their laptops.

How do you remove a bios password on a dell 530 desktop with vista?
A friend setup her new computer and somehow got in and setup a bios password. She knows the password, but how does she disable it so it doesn't ask her everytime she turns on her computer?

For that she would have to go into the BIOS and remove the BIOS Password.

Not necessarily. Each laptop is different. Toshibas dont even allow clearing of the CMOS to clear the BIOS password. So just flipping a switch might not work in all cases. It is very system specific.

Mak is correct, Toshiba BIOS' are strange things and there are a lot of caveats to them. It's unlikely you'd be able to clear it yourself but you can take it to one of their service centers and they can check it out for you.

Mak is correct,

Quiet. Dont say that out loud. It scares the children....

I know of the Toshiba BIOS cause i dealt with it personally. Sister in Law gave me one to try and fix. Even after basically ripping off every Cap on the mobo i still couldnt get rid of that blasted BIOS password....:freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom