Cheap Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Where is the best place to get the cheapest laptop, either with 1GB RAM + XP, or 2GB + Vista?

Already building a good desktop, just might want something for word documents + basic internet browsing.

eBay? If you want a dirt cheap laptop, eBay's the place to find it. I got an IBM Thinkpad with a Pentium 3 850MHz, 128MB RAM (upgraded it to 512MB), and 30GB hard drive for $160 on eBay. Sure, the specs aren't top notch, but it's capable of web browsing (and has a HUGE 1600x1200 screen for great browsing area) and document editing. I'm using it right now actually. I have Ubuntu Linux on it, but it also runs XP (installed but not using it now) quite well. If that's too low, you can find better PC's for a bit more.

Craiglist can be good, too. But if you are looking for a new one the Dell Vostro seems to be the one to look at. Cheap and better built than Inspirons. Compaq is also a good cheap brand.

Get a refurbished Compaq laptop from Newegg. For $450 you can get a 1.9g AMD Athlon X2 with 1g memory and 7000m graphics, or an AMD Turion X2 with 2g of memory for $500. They have very good reviews, and people claim that they appear brand new and in awsome shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom