Can't surf internet with laptop

I'm not trying to argue with anyone or show any disrespect but if bagel is able to connect to other wireless networks without any issues then it would seem to be a problem with the router or the settings on the router... I also have a copy of the ipconfig /all feedback in my e-mail from when posted earlier which shows that the adapter itself is using all of the proper settings from what I can tell. I will however admit that I was a bit hasty to recommend resetting the router before I got the google ping results but I do believe that there is a good chance that there is a problem with the router

You are correct sir, I misunderstood the part about him connecting to the live tv service through his cable providers modem. I think then it would be wise for him to first just reboot the gateway and modem before doing any resetting, ruling out any complications relating to possible low ram included in cheaper router/gateways. I'm just trying to avoid a meltdown in router configuration issues. Then he has no internet, and a possible angry roommate until a long tech support call with his dsl provider. LOL what do you think?

I think he said the he already tried rebooting it and it didn't work but i would recommend his ISP while resetting the gateway, that way if there are any problems and he cant get back to the forum then he will already be on the phone with a support agent that can give him the log-on credentials

Wow. Major discussion since I left. Thanks guys. Hopefully this can help someone else in future.

At Starbucks, internal wifi worked just fine.

I think he said the he already tried rebooting it and it didn't work but i would recommend his ISP while resetting the gateway, that way if there are any problems and he cant get back to the forum then he will already be on the phone with a support agent that can give him the log-on credentials

ha! missed that it was in his first post.

ok bagel, could we get some info on your router? manufacturer and model number?

Actiontec GT704WG

running malawarebytes on computer right now...see if find anything

ok, for the next step we will need the username and password for that modem/router combo you have.
If that modem was provided by your dsl provider, then it should have a sticker on the bottom of it which contains the default username and password. Unless somebody has changed it, then those should work.
If you bought it separate from your provider, then the default username is: admin
the password is left blank, but in this case again, if the defaults were changed by someone who may have set it up for you, then that will not work.

Check for the sticker on the bottom first and write it down so you can log into the router.

connect to the router however you want and open up your webbrowser. Put 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. A user name and password box needs to be entered use the one you wrote down, and of course if there wasn't one on a sticker try admin for user and no password.

Now you're logged in to the router. Post back when you get in.

*none of the above will result in the loss of your connection, we are just going to check if its safe to do a reset.

Last edited:
ok, for the next step we will need the username and password for that modem/router combo you have.
If that modem was provided by your dsl provider, then it should have a sticker on the bottom of it which contains the default username and password. Unless somebody has changed it, then those should work.
If you bought it separate from your provider, then the default username is: admin
the password is left blank, but in this case again, if the defaults were changed by someone who may have set it up for you, then that will not work.

Check for the sticker on the bottom first and write it down so you can log into the router.

connect to the router however you want and open up your webbrowser. Put 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. A user name and password box needs to be entered use the one you wrote down, and of course if there wasn't one on a sticker try admin for user and no password.

Now you're logged in to the router. Post back when you get in.

*none of the above will result in the loss of your connection, we are just going to check if its safe to do a reset.

Yes I'm at the Networking page. I have ID and Password.

Something strange is going on. OK.....right now I have three devices listed. My desktop thru ethernet, my roommate's Ipad, and my Emachines Laptop wifi...or so it says. On my Emachines, I logged off my wifi...I figured this would make connection disappear.

HOWEVER, I still have three connections. It says laptop is connected thru Ethernet......HUH??? No its not. There is no wired connection to laptop right now. ??????

9gdblx.png

Last edited:
ok if you click advanced setup to get to the advanced page, then on the right click wan IP address. The next page should list a bunch of choices for the way your modem/router connects to your isp. type it here the one that is currently selected. Most likely it's going to pppoe since it's a combo device but then again I do not know the configuration of your isp. Anyway I'm around so post back w/ that info.

wow that screen looks wildly diff than what I expected, I was looking at the commercial ver. of that device I guess. Anyway, ignore the above. you see the username and password that you scribbled out? write down that info.

Last edited:
You can see in picture above. It says pppoe.

My laptop is now off, yet still shows an Ethernet connection to the laptop. ????

Back
Top Bottom