Can't surf internet with laptop

Check the IP and DNS addresses on the laptop compared to the addresses on your other networked devices and then try to ping your gateway (using the wireless while the ethernet and external wifi adapter is unplugged). If you can ping your gateway then your card should be fine and were looking at a different problem. and if you dont mind give us the ipconfig report from your ethernet adapter as well as your wireless adapter(the one that isn't working)

Last edited:
Check the IP and DNS addresses on the laptop compared to the addresses on your other networked devices and then try to ping your gateway (using the wireless while the ethernet and external wifi adapter is unplugged). If you can ping your gateway then your card should be fine and were looking at a different problem. and if you dont mind give us the ipconfig report from your ethernet adapter as well as your wireless adapter(the one that isn't working)

I don't even understand how to do all that. Can you give me step by step guide on what to do above? Thanks.

Alright! I hate doing this but I'm going to assume that you have windows vista or windows 7

While you have the ethernet plugged in and the wifi connected-
Click Start
> Type cmd in the search bar and press enter (This will open Command Prompt)
>>type "ipconfig /all >C:\ip.txt" and press enter (this will save the ipconfig results to a text file on the root of your C drive)
>>>Open your C drive and find the ip.txt file and copy and paste it here so we can see your results

After you do this I'll give you further instructions

Actually I posted it , but took it down. I have that report. Tell me exactly what you want to see and I'll post that part.

Last edited:
It's fine i have it in my e-mail, but all of your ip settings look fine for both the Ethernet and wireless so try to open command prompt again after you unplug the ethernet cable and type "ping 192.168.1.1" and press enter and tell me what it says and what os are you running on your laptop? and are there any other devices connected wirelessly to the internet through your router?

It's fine i have it in my e-mail, but all of your ip settings look fine for both the Ethernet and wireless so try to open command prompt again after you unplug the ethernet cable and type "ping 192.168.1.1" and press enter and tell me what it says and what os are you running on your laptop? and are there any other devices connected wirelessly to the internet through your router?

I am running Windows 7 Premium on the laptop.

Other devices connected wirelessly? Sometimes. Roommate has Mac and Ipad, so sometimes either one or both are connected wirelessly. However, neither were connected when I produced that report before. Before, I had my laptop hooked up wirelessly and wired, AND I have a desktop which is always hooked up wired.

I will run that test later for you and post it.

OK, just did this. From laptop. Not connected with ethernet, just internal wireless.

24b6gs7.png

Try a very simple steps.

Go to RUN>>type (inetcpl.cpl)>>
Internet options>>advanced>>(click on ) reset>> apply>> ok

Restart your internet explorer.

Let me know whether its working or not

Alright well your wifi card seems to be working... so the next steps would be to try to access your gateway and to ping an external site while the ethernet is unplugged. Open your browser and try going to "http://192.168.1.1" and see what you get and let me know
after that
Open command prompt again
type "ping www.google.com" then hit enter
let me know the feedback

Last edited:
Try a very simple steps.

Go to RUN>>type (inetcpl.cpl)>>
Internet options>>advanced>>(click on ) reset>> apply>> ok

Restart your internet explorer.

Let me know whether its working or not

I did that, but that didn't work. It's not just IE. It's all the browsers.

Back
Top Bottom