Can't run any games well on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpian

In Runtime
Hello everyone.
Ok this laptop I was never able to play any game on it well since day 1 of getting it.
Games tested :
Age of empires 2 : The conquerors
Swat 3
Yugioh power of chaos: joey the passion
None of the 3 games runs well. Continous 1 sec lag every like 10 seconds of gaming are really bugging me. also in Swat 3 the game is really sluggish
System specs :
T3100 Celeron dual core CPU @ 1.9 Ghz
Sis672 mirage intergated graphics with 256 mb of shared memory
RAM 1 GB ( it shares 256 mb with graphics so it's in all 768 MB )
160 GB HDD
Windows XP professional SP3.
You can check out system requirements for all games. I'm pretty sure I pass all of the requirements. All of these games ran perfectly on my like 10-year-old machine which had 32 MB of graphics, 128 MB of RAM and I don't remember the processor but I don't think it'll ever exceed 500 Mhz single core. I don't have that machine anymore lol.
I did try updating graphics drivers, no luck.
Any advice is appreciated.

Well i can tell you right now that the laptop is not made for gaming. Having integrated GFX is bad, having Sis with only 256MB of shared GFX is worse. That device is not made for gaming. That is your weak link in the chain that is preventing you from gaming. It is an unknown generic graphics chip that isnt widely supported. You wont be able to game on the laptop for this reason.

Not even the slightest games? Age of Empires is extremely low on resources, it works well but periodic lags are annoying. All of this is back up to SIS thingy? If so, is it possible to somehow put a dedicated graphics card in my laptop? IF not, I heard there was something called external video cards that go via USB ( I know it'll be horrible via USB 2.0 if it ever existed, but nothing will be more horrible than this laptop graphics ).
If none of that is possible, I heard there was a program which some of the load to go from GPU to RAM&CPU, does that exist? Will it be helpful? And how risky is it for RAM&CPU?
Thanks and sorry for many questions.

No you cant put a dedicated card in a laptop. Those machines are few and far between and cost close to or over $1,000 to have such a feature.

Yes this will be due to the low end graphics card. Having a low end gfx card in the laptop saves them money but costs you. There was a such thing as an external video card, seriously it isnt worth it to spend money on an external video card just to play low end games. Why not just save up the money and get a better laptop that can do what you want. The amount of money you spend on this external card can get you almost a quarter of the way there.

I dont know about the RAM & CPU. But you dont have enough RAM in the first place and your CPU is a lower end Celeron. I wouldnt try to stress it to play low end games for no reason.

In the end it isnt going to be cost effective nor worth it to get the stuff required to play on this laptop. Bite the bullet and get a better laptop with better specs than continue to try and force this one to perform on a level it cant and end up cutting its life span short. Not only will you be out the laptop but all the extra money you put in just to game on it.

Thanks man your advice is really helpful. So any slight gaming on this laptop will shorten its lifetime?
I'll look into your advice and maybe get a laptop this summer. I do remember seeing a laptop with an i3 ( or i5 I don't remember but it was most likely an i5, at 2.something GHz ) with a Radeon HD 5470 Graphics card and either 2 GB or 3 GB DDR3 ram. I don't remember the price exactly but it was sub 900$. It's an Asus laptop. Worth it?
Note : I'm buying that laptop locally as shipping over here to Egypt from companies online will be very costy.

No, its just that some models are better than others, but IMO, all ASUS are excellent. The UL20 is a good bang for your buck. The G series are good also.

So ASUS XXX models are best? Or others could be better?
But yeah as far as I know too, Asus rocks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom