Cant download them?

nobodyimporant

Solid State Member
So if any of you have read my post about how my laptop has been acting up, everytime I run it on normal mode, the screen goes black, sometimes after a few minutes or so sometimes right away and won't even start up, I try disconnecting the ACadapter and running it that way, but that doesn't help the screen goes black anyways.
The laptop doesn't turn off, just the screen is going black and it's annoying, but I can run it on safe mode and it NEVER shuts off.
There are these chipsets downloads, I try to download them, for my laptop maybe that's why it won't work anymore? But I can't download them, one says one or more applications was unable to start setup will not exit, and the other one says error code 40, I don't know what that means, I'm not sure how to update my bios and check that so I don't know if my bios is up to date.
I'm not sure if maybe just reformating the laptop would work? Or if there's another option? I can't restore my computer to an earlier time because no earlier restore points are available

So if any of you have read my post about how my laptop has been acting up, everytime I run it on normal mode, the screen goes black, sometimes after a few minutes or so sometimes right away and won't even start up, I try disconnecting the ACadapter and running it that way, but that doesn't help the screen goes black anyways.
The laptop doesn't turn off, just the screen is going black and it's annoying, but I can run it on safe mode and it NEVER shuts off.
There are these chipsets downloads, I try to download them, for my laptop maybe that's why it won't work anymore? But I can't download them, one says one or more applications was unable to start setup will not exit, and the other one says error code 40, I don't know what that means, I'm not sure how to update my bios and check that so I don't know if my bios is up to date.
I'm not sure if maybe just reformating the laptop would work? Or if there's another option? I can't restore my computer to an earlier time because no earlier restore points are available

Your problem does bring up a couple of different thoughts. The first one that comes to mind and only because 85%+ of computer problems today tend to come from some type of Virus or Malware infection is to do a full cleaning while in safe mode. Like the one here The other is to start trying to allow Windows to start reinstalling drivers and since it is a video problem that is the one I would start out with. A cleaning process like the one here

What version of Windows is this again?

Your problem does bring up a couple of different thoughts. The first one that comes to mind and only because 85%+ of computer problems today tend to come from some type of Virus or Malware infection is to do a full cleaning while in safe mode. Like the one here The other is to start trying to allow Windows to start reinstalling drivers and since it is a video problem that is the one I would start out with. A cleaning process like the one here

It is windows 7

IMO, doesn't really sound like malware issues to me.

Sounds like driver issues or a bad Windows install.

At this point, I'd say backup your data and wipe/reinstall Windows if you're still having this many issues. Yes troubleshooting is good...but at some point, the time invested in working on the problem is too much and wiping is a better solution.

At this point, I'd say backup your data and wipe/reinstall Windows if you're still having this many issues. Yes troubleshooting is good...but at some point, the time invested in working on the problem is too much and wiping is a better solution.

Could be the result of Malware was my thinking....wanted to make sure there wasn't any before moving on

As to the Factory Reset, whether it is worth more time or just reinstalling comes down to what software is installed, have software/keys/registration to be able to reinstall all of it etc...

Could be the result of Malware was my thinking....wanted to make sure there wasn't any before moving on

As to the Factory Reset, whether it is worth more time or just reinstalling comes down to what software is installed, have software/keys/registration to be able to reinstall all of it etc...

This is his previous thread, btw:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/need-help-ready-take-sledgehammer-thing-276030/

OP hasn't responded to the latest questions in there, so there's not much we can do if he doesn't want to take our advice we're giving.

+1 to that.. Make sure you take a picture of your installed program's so you can make sure you don't forget anything.. And use keyfinder software to note down your product keys In case you haven't got them on paper..

OK so I downloaded and ran all of those scans, and I am still having the same problem.
Should I go ahead and reformat?

OK so I downloaded and ran all of those scans, and I am still having the same problem.
Should I go ahead and reformat?

Yes.

Backup your data first to an external storage device. If you have reinstall discs, use those. Otherwise, there may also be a recovery partition you can boot off to reinstall Windows, which will have all the necessary drivers / extra software from Alienware.

Back
Top Bottom