can't connect to wireless with laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default can't connect to wireless with laptop

Hey all, I bought a laptop a couple weeks ago, and when I first brought it home I tried connecting to my wireless at home. It kept telling me that I was connected, but with no internet. I thought this was a little strange, seeing as my brothers PC was connected just fine. I went ahead and disconnected my modem from power to reset it. Did not change anything, I tried a couple times, but nothing.

I gave up, and just plugged it straight into my modem, because I wanted to get all the updates, and everything set up the way I wanted before I left for my trip in a couple days. On my little vacation I had no problem connecting to the wireless at the bed and breakfast I stayed at for the first couple nights, as well as, no problems at my sisters, and as well, my other sisters. So I kinda figured maybe something got resolved.

When I got home again, same thing, connected with no internet. I started playing around some more, seeing if the laptop could find the problem and fix it. Now this is where I really need help, it asked me something at one point, so I click something else thinking I would try that. now all I get is a little multi pointed star over time of my wireless status bar, and now I'm totally stuck. I know I changed something, which I should not have, but I don't know how to get back to where I changed it, or how to reset it?

Help please......
thanks

Update: a little more info, looking in Network and Sharing Center there is an X between my laptop and internet

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB DDR5
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum
OCZ Vertex 3, 120gig
Seagate Barracuda 500GB(Data) 2X 1TB (Media)
750 Watt PSU
OCZ Vandetta 2 triple heatpipe CPU heatsink
42" LG LCD widescreen
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: can't connect to wireless with laptop

never mind, I got it. I just unistalled my wireless adapter, went to Acers website and downloaded the drivers and re-installed
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB DDR5
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum
OCZ Vertex 3, 120gig
Seagate Barracuda 500GB(Data) 2X 1TB (Media)
750 Watt PSU
OCZ Vandetta 2 triple heatpipe CPU heatsink
42" LG LCD widescreen
Closed Thread