cannot get printer to work on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am having trouble getting a printer working on a laptop. When I try to print something it says communication is not available. I have tried installing the drivers for it from Dell's website since he doesn't have the cd for it. The printer is a Dell Photo 944.

Normally he has it hooked up to a desktop and it works fine on that. But when hooked directly to the laptop, it doesn't work. The desktop has Windows Xp installed and the laptop has Windows Vista.

What printer is it? Are the drivers you are installing for Vista or XP?

Assuming that this isn't a network environment and you are just hooking the printer to the laptop directly, you should just have to install the proper drivers, hookup the printer, and you're ready to go.

Double check what drivers you are using.

The printer is a Dell Photo 944.

Right now I am just hooking it up directly, eventually he wants the laptop to be able to use the printer without being hooked up directly, through the network. That's for another time, though.

I have tried installing the drivers for it from Dell's website and still didn't work. It still says communication unavailable. I know the printer works because I can hook it up to the desktop and print something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom