Can laptops be repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the power cord is unplugged at all (either unplugged from the wall or the laptop) the laptop will get its power from the battery. If there is no juice left in the battery it won't turn on until plugged in.

Hello,

Several important things to mention...

...Then they tried to get her to buy some kind of warranty package or something like that, she didn't. When HP knew she wasn't going to buy anything, the guy on the phone said this conversation has to end. Man, HP support sucks...

For out of warranty HP notebooks, it is usually cheaper and more cost-effective to purchase an HP post-warranty care pack to repair a faulty notebook. A post-warranty care pack provides extended warranty after the base warranty has expired.

For example, when my the BIOS of my HP nx7300 Business Notebook corrupted after the warranty had expired, I had three options. Option 1 was to get HP to do an out of warranty repair, which would have cost £250 (about $360) not including servicing costs. Alternatively, option 2 was purchase the motherboard for £250 and repair it myself. What I did instead, and what made more sense, was option 3, where I purchased an HP 1yr post-warranty care pack for just £70. This also saved me the hassle since all I needed to do was send it to HP for servicing.

After searching to see if a post-warranty care pack was available for dv2000 series notebooks, I couldn't find one (you can see the list of available HP care packs and prices for this month). Still, you mentioned that HP support offered warranty packages and HP may offer post-warranty care packs at their own will. You didn't say whether they mentioned the cost, and if they did, how much the warranty package would cost. I strongly advise that you call HP support and find out whether there are any available post-warranty packages for your HP notebook, and if so, how much it will cost. It could save you a lot of money, not to mention time and hassle.

She knows it is the motherboard because two different people told her this...

Secondly, I know you're certain that the problem is the motherboard, but you need to be doubly sure if you choose to buy a replacement motherboard and repair it yourself, because laptop motherboards are very expensive (and you don't want to replace a part which doesn't need placing). You mentioned two people told her the motherboard needs replacing. Any ideas as to who and how they made the conclusion?

If you choose to repair it yourself (which I advise against for the reason I gave earlier) then I suggest you send the notebook to HP and get them to do a diagnostics check (at a cost for out of warranty notebooks) on the laptop to establish what the actual problem is. You can then be certain that you're replacing the right part(s).

...Does it have to be the exact same motherboard as it has right now or as long as it says it's for a dv2000, it will work?...

HP notebooks have service tags on the underside which tell you the product number. Use the HP Parts Store to find the correct replacement part (and it's part number) for your particular notebook model. Enter the product number in the 'Search by model number' search field. If the part is in stock, you'll be able to see how much it will cost to purchase from HP. Still, it would be wise to search ebay or froogle using the part number to see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

I did not talk to the people that looked at the laptop so I wouldn't no for sure what they did. I do know that one guy did the same thing you guys had me do, hook it up to a different monitor. It just seems like a coincidence that two totally different people said it was the motherboard. Without sending the laptop to HP, how can I be sure? Who knows how much it would cost to have them look at it and still having to buy the motherboard. I have seen some on ebay around 150 bucks.

I don't know if this would make a difference but I just found out this laptop is a HP Pavilion dv2200, not a dv2000 as said earlier. Dv2000 is what it says above the monitor so I figured that was the model but it is not.

I know what you are going through. I am having the same problem. After taking my HP Pavilion dv6000 to the shop I was told it was a motherboard problem. My screen does not come on and the LED lights light up and stay on for about 20 seconds then turn off and back on again over and over. I am looking around on EBay right now and can find Motherboards for around $95-$178. Just trying to find out if it is actually possible for me to change it out on my own. I have had some experience with doing work on laptops but if it requires any saudering (sp?) then I don't know if I could do that myself.

Replacing a MB on a laptop will not require soldering.

Make absolutely sure the motherboard is compatable. I too found tons of MB on Ebay and other places for cheap, like 100 - 200 dollars - but once i found the model that was compatable with my MB it was 400 - 500 bucks.

Double check those specs.

Well, I took the laptop apart. Man, I bet I took out about 20 or 30 screws all together.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the part number on the motherboard so I can see how much it will cost?

Anyone know of a good place to buy a motherboard? I have found a few on ebay and such but looking for more sites to do some price comparison.

You didn't have to take it apart to find that :) Could have just called or IM'ed tech support, given your p/n and they could have given you the exact part number of your MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom