Can laptops be repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe the hdd crapped out. when my fams old dells hdd crapped out the first time it didnt show anything so when dells onsite came and fixed it. it was just the hdd. but when my aunts lappy did the same thing it was the video card.

Okay so we know it isn't the monitor. Could either be the motherboard or hard drive. Try putting in an XP CD to see if it boots to the CD (or Linux live CD).

If not (and since it isn't showing the POST screen) i would presume the video card probably went out, which is integrated into the MB.

So now it would be a safe bet to replace the MB. Same conclusion you came up with yesterday, but now you can be almost certain this will fix the issue. Would have hated for you to spend 200+ on a motherboard, 4 hours replacing it, just to find out you need to spend another 200+ on a monitor to replace that.

I put a Windows Vista cd in, does that matter if it is XP or Vista, and I could hear it reading the cd but nothing showed up on screen. So you think it is the motherboard?

Does this happen alot on laptops? This laptop is less than two years old and she bought it brand new. On the average how long do laptops last if they are taken care of?

Really depends on the model and manf., i would say a ROUGH average would be 3 - 5 years. Some lasting less than 2 and some lasting for 8.

I have an HP right now that i haven't had to replace anything, and i've had it for four years. Also have an old compaq that is 8 in a half years old.

I guess I will look on ebay and see how much I can get a motherboard for. Does it have to be the exact same motherboard as it has right now or as long as it says it's for a dv2000, it will work?

Thanks for your help, Lexluethar and everyone else. I really appreciate it. I will probably be back once I start taking the laptop apart.

It should have lasted longer.

Generally speaking yes, as long as it is the same model as yours you should be okay. But that isn't always the case. I'm working on a Compaq Presario R3000, more specifically the R3030US model. Most R3000 motherboards would work, each different model just means less/more FSB and less/more graphics memory. But within the R3000 are intel AND amd processors. So make sure you purchase a motherboard that will be compatable with your processor and case.

I would call their support line and see what models are supported.

One other question, this is about laptops in general. When you have the power cord plugged into the laptop, is it getting juice from the cord itself or is it still going through the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom