Can I upgrade anything here??

Antec-User

Papa Chester
No SSD. Even though that would be an IDEAL upgrade..

But let's start with the basics.. Possible CPU Upgrade to an i5 Maybe? What Ram upgrade would be recommended, if any? The last time I messed with computers, the AMD PII940 was just released.. :( I still have a drive to build and mod them, just can't find the bankroll or the motivation..

The rid is a Toshiba Satellite P7555-S5320 with an i3 and 6g of ram, Win7 64b. No special GPU.. Just on-board Intel.

CPU-Z Screenshots attached.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• CPUZ.jpg
    CPUZ.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Why no SSD?

Moving to an i5 would be chancy. IF it worked you would have additional heat which is not good with lappys.

Moving up from 6GB would not be an improvement. Unless you are running virtual machines or doing video editing you are not even using all of the 6GB now.

^ True... And for what I would need from an SSD, Space wise, I can't justify the cost. I've used 200g out of 580. And I'd still have to transfer everything. Not really up on ghosting a hard drive. Don't feel like losing anything. I'll look into it though. I have an SSD in my big rig and that's ungodly fast.

Actually, I think i could probably benefit from a RAM upgrade. The gauge in the corner is showing I'm using 67% just with my internet browser open. Granted I have a LOT of tabs open and use almost all of them... Google chrome, btw.

Any recommendations as far as specifications??

Maximum that laptop can support is 8gb, so you could upgrade to that, but it's not really gonna be all that useful. Trotski's right, SSD is your best upgrade option. You could always get a 120gb SSD (they run between 90 and 120 bucks or so for a decent on, the Samsung 830 series is 100 for 128gb I believe) and get a portable external solution for any other data if need be. I just bought a 500gb WD USB drive for about 60 bucks.

Hmmm... I wonder... I just don't want to turn my "daily driver" computer into a hassle to deal with. I keep all my music on here (70g) Not to mention everything off my phone and whatever from the internet and everything just ends up piling up. I DO need to back up though. It's been a while.

Do you have a laptop bag with your laptop? Should be enough space in there (if you have one) for a small usb powered external. Keep most of the music you would listen to on a daily basis on the SSD (120/128gb) and the rest plus whatever else on the hard drive. Wouldn't be too big of a hassle. Technically you could keep all your music on the SSD if you wanted, just would have less space for programs/anything else.

Back
Top Bottom