Can I get some opinions? Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da11en47

In Runtime
I'm pretty sure I've found a laptop I want for my budget, so please don't try and talk me out of it. Unless it's an amazing deal or I'm an idiot and don't realize...

Anyways heres the link.

Newegg.com - Recertified: Gateway ML6720 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2310(1.46GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 667 120GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100

My question is I keep hearing everyone say that VISTA needs 2 GB of ram or its too slow. Is that really true? I don't plan on playing hardcore games or running stressful applications. Maybe internet, typing, burning, & watching dvds.

If I do need to upgrade how hard is it to install the RAM myself? Expensive? I have no problem with installing RAM on desktops, but laptops/notebooks scare me a little. Thanks.

Also too, I noticed it was recertified. Is that a bad idea?

Vista can run on 1GB RAM. It is defiantly better to have 2GB though. I don't think it would run that Aero feature smoothly though.

Installing memory on most laptops is really easy. Like on my dell there is just a little screw to take out of the back and thats it. It is not too expensive either, $50.00 on Newegg for 1GB.

Oh, I also noticed both memory slots are filled 512x2, so you would have to take one out and put 1GB in it's place but you still would not have 2GB.

Like eric1 said vista will run fine on 1 gig of ram but 2 gig is just a benefit. As for the ram goes bestbuy is always having a good deal on ram such as this one Kingston Technology - 1GB PC5300 SoDIMM Notebook Memory - KVR667D2SO/1GR
I'd go buy 2 gigs since 1 is so cheap and that way you wouldn't have any worries. It is really easy to replace by yourself but if you aren't sure and don't want to ruin anything talk to the techs at bestbuy but it may cost a little money

That model comes with 1GB of RAM installed as 2 512MB chips. If you'd want to go with 2GB of total memory later, you'd have to buy 2 1GB chips.

A laptop like this probably just had a bad hard drive or something at one time and they've replaced it and recertified the piece as good as new. I wouldn't be too worried myself and the price is right. I think they give you a 90 day warranty, too, and I'd figure most problems would pop up right away. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom