Can anyone explain these final steps I need to do to get HP my info 4new BIOS PSSWRD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Can anyone explain these final steps I need to do to get HP my info 4new BIOS PSSWRD?

FROM HP TECH: Please provide me the Info.txt file from the unit which is required to create BIOS Admin tool to clear BIOS Admin password.
- You need to run the hpreadid.exe file which can be downloaded from the following FTP to proceed further on this unit.
- If Boot order does not allow you to do so, please remove the HDD from the unit and then it should boot from USB Device. Then perform the steps as below and share the output file.
1. Boot your unit to DOS using DOS bootable media. You may visit the following web link for detailed instructions on “How to Create a DOS Bootable USB Drive”
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02715961&jump id=reg_R1002_USEN

HP Commercial Desktop/Notebook PCs - How to Create a DOS Bootable USB Drive
Information
During the course of the support process, HP may request that a utility or update be applied to test systems using a DOS Bootable USB Drive.
Details
Requirements :
  1. Select a USB Drive that has a capacity of 4GB or less, and can be formatted (erasing all existing data).
  2. FreeDOS:
    • Download fd11src.iso from the following link:
Click here to download fd11src.iso at FreeDOS | The FreeDOS Project.
[TABLE="class: MsoNormalTable, width: 100"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="width: 10%"] NOTE:
[/TD]
[TD="width: 90%"] The above-mentioned URL will take you to a non-HP web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP web site.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
    • Create a FreeDOS CD from the fd11src.iso image using CD writer software. Refer to the CD writer software documentation for information on creating a CD from an image file.
    • THIS IS WHERE I GOT STUMPED, I OPENED THE ISO IMAGE AND BURNED THE FILES TO A DVD LIKE IT SAYS, “CREATING A CD FROM AN IMAGE FILE” –AFTER THIS I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO PROCEED WITH THE REST OF THESE STEPS TO MAKE THE BOOTABLE USB, I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HPUSBFW IS, WHERE IT IS, WHAT I NEED TO DO ETC.
  1. HPUSBFW:
    • Download a BIOS update softpaq for a recent HP commercial notebook (8740w, for example). Although this step references software that is specific to HP commercial notebooks, the process will produce a DOS bootable USB drive for use with HP commercial desktop and notebook computers.
    • Expand the contents of the softpaq without initiating the BIOS update:
      • Open a Command Prompt from Windows.
      • Navigate to the directory where the softpaq was downloaded to.
      • Execute the following command to extract the softpaq contents:
sp????? -e -fc:\swsetup\sp????? -s
Where sp????? is the file name of the softpaq.
      • Exit the Command Prompt.
    • HPUSBFW.exe will be located in the directory c:\swsetup\sp?????\ .
Process :
  1. Remove all USB Drives and other removable storage (such as memory cards connected to attached printers) from the computer where HPUSBFW is located. Failure to do so may result in misidentification of the USB Drive and data loss due to formatting.
  2. Connect the selected USB Drive to computer where HPUSBFW is located.
  3. Launch HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool by double-clicking HPUSBFW.EXE from within Windows.
  4. The USB Drive should be automatically detected by HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool . If not, select the correct drive from the Device drop down list. Failure to select the correct drive may result in data loss.
  5. Select FAT32 from the File System drop down list.
  6. Check the box next to Create a DOS startup disk using system files located at: .
  7. Insert the FreeDOS CD and browse to the following path in HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool :
D:\FREEDOS\SETUP\ODIN
Where D:\ is the drive where the FreeDOS CD is inserted.
  1. Select Start in HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool .
When the format is complete, select Close in HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool . The USB Drive is now DOS bootable. Remove the USB Drive and FreeDOS CD from the computer.

(REST OF ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS FROM EMAIL HP SENT)
2. Once you have boot to DOS, run the HPREADID file as: hpreadid.exe > unit.txt
3. Send unit.txt back to me as an attachment to this email.

Please download the tool from the following weblink
Login: rfvtgb09
Password: 3sp}AQ7e (NOTE: CASE-sensitive)
FTP Access: ftp://rfvtgb09:3sp}AQ7e@ftp.usa.hp.com/
or: ftp://rfvtgb09:3sp}AQ7e@15.192.32.78/

Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Can anyone explain these final steps I need to do to get HP my info 4new BIOS PSSWRD?

So your question is...

You need to get into the password protected BIOS?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Can anyone explain these final steps I need to do to get HP my info 4new BIOS PSSWRD?

Yes. I've gotten as far as making the CD from the ISO image HP told me to download. After that I have no clue where to go and what to do to make the BOOTABLE DOS USB with the correct files that need to be on it.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Did you simply try to reset the BIOS? There are guides on how to do it. It's usually 2 pins you need to short. What is your exact model?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My exact model is Hewlett Packard Business Notebook HP4420s Pro Book. Type XT940UT#ABA This model of business notebook has TPM security. The normal CMOS or in my case RTYPE battery jump or leads jump doesn't work. Trust me I've tried every known method on the internet that I could find for weeks and weeks. I've taken out the RTYPE battery, doing it in a specific order then holding the power button for 2 minutes to completely reset. All that did was make it so I had to reset the clock! LMAO The process I have listed in my original ? or rant for help is what the Level 5 HP TECH needs to make me a new master Administrator BIOS password that will reset the Administrator Bios password so I can make it new one. Any ideas help... Thanks!!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

So, are you using this at work? Or did you buy it off someone. All you need to do is ask the owner. Did you try various passwords?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I use it at work for work and I bought it off someone. I was given an amount to spend on a laptop for myself and bought this one from someone. The LCD screen was broken and when it was on it looked shattered and you couldn't make anything out. So I got the laptop for cheap, bought a new screen, installed it, installed a new OS, added 4gb ram, added Xtra large battery, ended up with a very nice laptop for the amount of $ I would have spent on a $250 on sale special from k mart. This pro book is a very nice laptop, it's the closest thing to a macbook out there in my opinion and the security is off the hook. It's so off the hook it's taking all this to make a change! LOL! The worst part of the situation is that the friend I bought it from, was killed in a drunk driving accident a week after he sold it to me... I didn't fix the screen and add all the other stuff until months later then realizing I never got that password from him. Just my luck.......

Closed Thread