\C & \D

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i have just about all of the files and folders that i want to transfer from my old computer, into my new laptop. so just out of curiosity, i checked to see how much free space i had left for the future. 377GB, so now worries there for quite some time. i noticed that there is a "D" drive, which i assume is for backup files from the factory ( this is a Lenovo G50 ). it says that the "D" drive has 23gb free in it. my questions are, 1) is the "D" drive actually a separate physical drive , or just a partitioned off section in the "C" drive? and, 2) can i access the "D" drive to store data, or is it reserved for updates thru Lenovo or Microsoft?

That'd just be a partition. You can verify this by opening up Disk Management and looking at how the HDD is split up.

It's most likely a recovery partition, which will be protected and shouldn't be written to. Usually they're hidden though rather than assigned a drive letter. Does the D: drive have a label on it?

i looked for "disc management" but i did not run across it, nor did a search show a result. whit i did find in device manager was one, 500GB hard drive. so i am 98% sure that "D" is a partition. it is listed as a separate drive in 2 places though. strange. i would be much likelier to believe there would be two separate drives in a desktop. but if this was that, i would just take the side off and look. i was more curious than anything. thanx 4 the help!

The problem with having the recovery partition on the same drive as your windows C: partition is that when your drive fails, you'll also lose that recovery partition. Your best option would be to make a set of recovery dvd disks, or image your drive today and save it on an external drive or on dvd bootable disks. Making an image of your operating system and it's folders with your data is a good idea for making weekly backups

Your best option would be to make a set of recovery dvd disks, or image your drive today and save it on an external drive or on dvd bootable disks.
i have never done that before. is this something i can copy and paste? or how do i do it? how many GB on a dvd disc? one thing you said stick out to me, how do i make a dvd "bootable"?

There should be a program on the computer that can make the recovery discs for you.

In the Start Menu/Start Screen, search for "Recovery" and see if something about recovery media creation comes up.

ok, i found it. but i have to empty my flash drive before i copy the files. so if this computer crashes hard enough that it will not start on its own, will it start on the flash drive alone?

i copied the partition onto a flash drive, then transferred it onto my "big " (350gb, hey, it WAS big at the time) external. so i have 2 more questions regarding this. 1) my wife and i now have the same model computer. so i would assume the partition would be the same between them (same information), right? which leads me to question 2) i actually did not even think about this until just this second. when we set these computers up, we did not have to enter the windows product id code (its been a long time since we have had a new computer). i really don't know if they even still use those for factory installed software. because of that "minor detail", i am questioning if the same copy of this partition WILL work on both computers, or should i make a copy of hers also and store it?

Back
Top Bottom