Bypassing catalyst suite so I can manually install the new Radeon drivers onto my Sony Vaio - help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwncracker

Solid State Member
Hi - I'm new here,

Bit of a long-shot but I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can update my drivers for the Mobility Radeon HD3470 card I have in my Sony Viao. Problem is Sony won't let AMD support their card so the Catalyst installer won't function, but I've heard of people bypassing catalyst and just manually installing the individual HD3470 driver file through device manager... but I can't get the installer to unpack so I can access the file. Any ideas??

I've tried a third party program called ati mobility modder but had no success.

Or is there somewhere else I can get the latest individual driver file(s) from minus the Catalyst installer? Sony haven't posted any updates for my card since 2008 :(.

That is unheard of. If you can't run CCC with your ATI card, you are running off a pos system. Sony should be ashamed.

AMD is not allowing you to just get the drivers anymore. It is made to work with that version of CCC, not earlier.

In what way won't it function? Any error?

Yeah I agree, Sony should be ashamed. If they won't let AMD support their card it is a disgrace that they won't update the drivers themselves!

There is no error with the installer, it just detects I have a sony vaio before it'll unpack and then refuse to continue the installation. What bugs me is that I know there are generic drivers in the package which I could use and install separately if I could just get at the files.

You used to be able to get around this as ccc would unpack the files first and then refuse to continue, but you'd still have access to the drivers. But the latest versions of ccc will run the diagnostic first before the unpack :(

But yeah, if you want to play games a sony laptop is a crappy choice, I wish I knew this before I bought it, but I've had it for a few years now and I guess it is time to upgrade, maybe I'll put together a proper desktop computer.

I've asked around on a few other forums, If I get any answers I'll post them here just in case anyone else has the same problem as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom