Buying a new ultrabook - Any Suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Buying a new ultrabook - Any Suggestions

I've been looking at laptops for the past month or so, and I really like Asus's laptops. So i thought i would go with them. I've had my eye on the Zenbook Prime Ux31A, the one with the i5 (ASUS ZENBOOK PRIME UX31A)

Just thought i get a second opinion, maybe someone has one and can shed some light on anything that might be bad about it. I'm also open to some suggestions to any other Ultrabooks.

I'm looking for a laptop mostly for school, some gaming but i do know how I'm limited by integrated graphics. I'm willing to pay around $1000 - $1600, I don't care about screen size but the full HD screen on the Asus is looking good.

Thanks,
Serius19

Serius19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Buying a new ultrabook - Any Suggestions

4GB DDR3 Memory- this can be upgraded I believe
128GB SSD- enough space for you?

Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I'm sure the ram could be upgraded, and the ssd is big enough for all the programs I use, and i was planning on using an external drive for movies, or games.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

The Zenbook Prime is a great choice, if I was getting an ultrabook it would be at the top of my list.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

MacBook Air or ASUS Zenbook Prime.
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Actually I've just been looking again at the Ux31A and the ram is soldered to the board. But the other model the Ux32VD (ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS ASUS ZENBOOK UX32VD) Has a little better specs like the dedicated graphics, and the ram and hard drive are both up-gradable. I don't mind having the 4GB of ram from the Ux31A, so would i be wasting my time and money upgrading the Ux32VD or not.
Lastly i seem to be having some trouble actually finding retailers in Australia for the UX32VD.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

For the RAM, expandibility is the best. Someday, you may need more RAM and a bigger HDD, better than buying another computer.

Amazon.com? newegg.com? Why not ship?
Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Shipping to Australia is super expensive, hence why most things in Australia that aren't made domestically are expensive. Look it up on a map and see how far it is from everywhere

That second zenbook you linked looks good, it appears to have the ability to toggle between the 620m and the intel x4000 gpu so you can switch it when you wanna game and when you need the battery life. Also 4gb of ram should be fine unless you're doing something intense on the laptop at which point I would question why you are going the ultrabook route.

Also 128gb is decently sizable. If it's your only computer then I'd think about it, I have D3, SC2, Dota 2, CS:GO and CS6 and a handful of other programs and am about up to the 128gb. I don't have any music on it, so if you're gonna be stuck with 128gb think about what you're realistically gonna put on it. Also that full hd screen is downright sexy, I'd love to have a full 1080p res on an ultrabook!
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have a Zenbook Prime, with an i7. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. I don't use it every day, but I could. It should absolutely be on the top of your list. Best Ultrabook I've used to date.