Buying new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rua2j1

Beta member
I was looking for a laptop and I came across this one. It is a Gateway with these specs,
# Ultrabright 15.4" widescreen LCD
Presents vivid 1280 x 800 WXGA resolution with more than 16 million colors
# 2 GHz Intel Pentium dual-core processor T3200
Delivers the power of two 64-bit processing cores
# 4 GB of DDR2 system memory
Offers excellent performance with today's demanding applications
# 250 GB hard drive
Provides plenty of storage space for documents, games, music, photos and videos
# Multi-format DVD+/-RW drive with dual-layer support
Lets you play and burn DVDs and CDs for music or data
# 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
Connects to wireless home and office networks or to Wi-Fi hotspots for convenient Internet access
# 5-in-1 digital media card reader
Reads the most popular memory card and Memory Stick formats to transfer music, photos and documents
# Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1
Makes computing more secure, more efficient and more entertaining while taking advantage of Intel 64-bit processing power

For about $700

Now my main question is about the pentium dual core processor. I looked it up and found that it came out around Aug. of this year. Would this computer be a good home comp for someone who is a light gamer and does not do any photos or video editing? Please respond. Thanks.

Ok Maybe Light was the wrong word. I might put World of Warcraft on it, but mostly it will be the Star Wars games I have that will hopefully work on vista. Like jedi knight series and kotor 1 and 2. I really wish they still offered good laptops with xp.

I have Jedi Academy and the whole Best of PC pack running very well on my 8600M GS Vista 64 laptop. What graphics chip does it have? It wasn't listed and the graphics will be pretty much the single deciding factor on gaming. That CPU is plenty for Jedi Knight, I ran Academy on my 850MHz P3 laptop quite well except for the graphics, and Best of PC ran well on my AthlonXP single core 2.13GHz. I may say 4GB of RAM is overkill, I have 3 on my T9300 Core 2 Duo 17" laptop and it never fills up to anywhere near 100%.

According to the Gateway website the Graphics is Chassis w/ Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 with up to 1759MB of Dynamic Video Memory and Intel® GL40 chipset

That's fine, should play all those games. Intel 4500 isn't the best out there but it's decent enough for a lappy's integrated gpu. I think you can play those games on High settings at least. Laptop sounds like a pretty good deal imo and 4gb of ram is fine. You'll just want to upgrade later anyway ;). ANd I like Gateway's, they're pretty solid get-what-you-pay-for laptops, not a lot of extra crap to inflate the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom