Buying a laptop - Decisions, decisions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Old 11-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Buying a laptop - Decisions, decisions

Me again...

I'm going to have to be buying a new laptop since my previous one burnt out - oh the nightmare of heat.

Well, I'm sort of on a fence between Samsung's 550P5C-S03AU ($950au) and Dell's 15R SE ($699au). While the distance between the 3rd gen i7-3610QM (Samsung) and the i5-3210M (Dell) is sizable, the $250 difference is pretty large. Which is why I'm stuck.

Does anyone have either of these and have problems with overheating? Build quality? I chose these two models because of the Gt 650 on both - would an i5 have a significant reduction in FPS compared to the i7?

nightreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Buying a laptop - Decisions, decisions

Im sure i5 will do... and I am biased with dell for performance and durability. Just a personal opinion.

jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Dell doesn't mean anything in terms of performance. Performance is all in the model and internal, hardware specs. I would recommend ASUS for them having some interesting cooling options such as a larger fan or a turbo fan mode. However, I'm not sure if ASUS is available in AUS or not.
What is this computer going to be used for?
If gaming, what games do you play, and what quality settings do you want to be able to play?
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
GhOsT1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Very personally, when it comes to laptops, I would not skimp out on quality. Yes, an i5 will do good enough for right now, but the i5 will also most likely not handle many games on their higher settings. And that's right now. In 2 or 3 years, you'll have wished you got the i7.

Remember, in laptops, the processor you get is what you're stuck with, and that's the brain of your computer. If you were buying a desktop I'd say go for the i5 and upgrade later, but you can never upgrade your processor in a laptop. Get the one that will give you the best performance for the longest. That's just my advice.
ValorousGamer is offline   Reply With Quote