Buying a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well thats the one I'm going for then. I definately think the 17 " screen will help, though maybe I should really go and get my eyes tested for new glasses... >.<

Theres a free upgrade, excluding pstage charge of £12 to the UK, from Acer for any Windows Vista laptop or desktop that is bought between a certain date in June, and the 31st of January. If I had ordered this laptop yesterday, I would get it on saturday and be able to register for the Windows 7 for only £12. :( Shame. But I shall buy it from software4students.co.uk for £40 anyway, its still cheaper than buying it normally!

Thanks a lot to those of you who contributed, and I shall probably post a short description of how it is working out for me after a few days! Thanks again. :)

I'm sorry about this to the admins, I had already posted something that was waiting for approval, but had to mention this before I went to bed, and I'm sleep deprived, so sleep is good. ^_^

Basically, I read the discussion pages past the first few posts, and it seems that the second laptop listed above had a lot of problems switching between the different graphics cards with Windows 7. There was also a lot of problems with drivers as well. Now I can use a computer, install and download drivers and re-instally windows basically, but if theres problems in the automated graphics changer thing, and problems with dirvers, then thats going to go right over my head and cost me even more money to get my local tech guy to fix it for me, which could potentially cost up to £100. So I've found a better laptop for an extra £50-ish ($80).

Here it is:

Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo (T6600 - 2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB)
Screen 15.6" (Acer CineCrystal, 1366x768 HD, High Brightness, LED Backlit)
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
RAM 4GB (DDR3 1066MHZ)
Hard Drive 320GB
Optical Drive DVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
Graphics Dedicated (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 with 512MB Dedicated RAM)
Wireless LAN Wireless (WIFI LINK A,B,G,N Includes MIMO)
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Integrated Webcam Yes (CrystalEye Webcam)
Card Reader 5-in-1 card reader (SD//MS/MS-Pro/MMC/xD-Picture cardâ„¢)
USB Ports 4x USB 2.0 Ports
Speakers High Definition Audio Speakers
Modem 56.6K Modem
VGA Port 1 External VGA Port
Kensington Lock Kensington lock slot
Charge Time 2.5 Hours
HDMI 1 HDMI Connector
Battery Life 3-4 Hours (This Specific Model 3.5-hours)
Weight 2-3 Kg (This Model 2.82 Kg)
Warranty 12 Months Acer Collect & Return

Someone listed it all out here, since Ebuyer has a random habit of actually selling slightly different models than they advertise. This one being a windows 7 with 64 bit, even though the site says its 32 bit, and ringing up and asking says its 32bit as well, though everyone that buys it says its 64bit, and is actually a different model, which they've linked to.

Now I think I'll definately be getting that one for £536.13 ($856.97). I'm confident that this will have a good enough graphics card, since its the same one I asked about earlier, I think ^_^. I'll put this off buying till sunday though incase anyone has any objections on its quality or value for money.

Link to the discussion page if interested.Link to the laptop on Acers website.

If it's this one your talking about, Acer Aspire 5738G Value Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer, the site says it's Windows 7 64-bit :). It seems like basically the same as the one you posted before, just it costs more though, guessing because it has an OS in it.

I would prefer the one before as it has a better screen and cheaper but since this one comes already loaded with the OS and drivers, guess it's good :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom