Buying a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychedelos

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'll make this short and simple.
I am buying a laptop, preferably from a big name/reliable company. I would prefer my limit to be about 1000 USD but if it's really important, I can give my limit some leeway.

I will not be using this for games. I want it to run very fast so I would want at least a gig or 2 of ram, not to mention, a good processor. It would also be nice to have a good hard drive on there. I just want this to be a quick computer and I want it to be able to run many programs without it getting slowed down.

If you could find one from the best buy website, that would be ideal. But if i'm open and grateful to all suggestions.

If you can afford it, apple is always the best option for laptops in my opinion. They are going to be the fastest (when compared to like PC's), best in battery life, and the best made hands down.

With that said, I would recommend an Acer from newegg.com in the way of PC's. Acer is a "big name" that is highly reliable and many people swear by them. Just find one on newegg that suits your needs and I'm sure it will be within your price range.

you could get a touchscreen laptop kinda like what i getting for 850 bucks from gateway with the bare specs. or a laptop that is extremely mobile.

Since your doing no gaming or such i recommend two types of laptops. The extreme cheap ones like 500 bucks or extreme mobility and battery life for around 1,000 bucks. anything other than that ( like laptops for 1,000 dollars that have a dedicated card, and a fast processor ) will be a waste of money.

as for as apple, i do have an apple computer and it does make better use of the hardware compared to microsoft. But they are a bit more expensive for what they carry, the cheapest laptop at about 1,100 bucks is equalivant in performance to a 600-700 buck windows pc.

but people who buy sony or apple are not buying for performance but rather longetivity, brand, and of course style.

I recommend the Dell Vostro 1000, 1400, or 1500. Depending on what size screen you want, and if you prefer Intel or AMD processors. Relatively cheap, and good quality.

Or you could get one of the Inspirons (same as Vostro only different colors) and use one of the $300 coupons floating around the internet.

One word: lenovo

Going to cost a bit more, but these suckers are built to last.

Dell and Asus and thoes other big names are obviously a little bit cheaper, but when you factor in the quality of components like keyboard, screen, case/durability, and all those little gizmo's that make a laptop a laptop (like a keyboard light, built in wifi antennas, microphone/camera), lenovo comes out on top hands down.

In such a compedative market as computers, companies are going to give you the best price they can afford component for component pretty much wherever you go, and so IMO its usually worth it to drop a few extra pennies to get something thats going to last a little while, plus these are executive type lappies and so if its good enough for a guy with a 6 figure salary, its good enough for you.

I agree with Akoto Lenovo is meant for business users and is meant to travel and are very durable but, if you want graphics performance then go with asus(less durable but better graphic options and the same with dell).Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom