Buying a Gaming Laptop...Am I getting my money's worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want your money's worth in a gaming machine... get a desktop. Laptops are great, but don't go too overboard. Remember that the purpose of a laptop is portability. I'm not saying a laptop can't play games, but it comes with a price; and that price is overheating, and a HUGE price markup from the equivalent desktop.

Just to be clear again, I can't get a desktop. That Asus looks pretty **** nice. How much of a difference is there between a 2.8GHz dual core and a 2.0GHz quad core?

Also, if I got the Asus off newegg, do you know if it would come with the free upgrade on Windows 7? I was kinda banking on that as a kind of $200 discount...

Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 is expiring in August 2009. Right now the Beta is on its 2 hour restart cycle. The Windows 7 RC Build 7100 will expire in March 2010. So that could be used in the meantime.

If you meant the RC Build IBM i am sorry. I am just trying to clarify the difference between the Beta and teh RC builds.

Well I was checking out the Asus website after you guys showed me their computers and I think I found the one that's both (fairly) affordable and very nicely specced...

Asus G71GX-A1 - $2,199
Processor: Intel® Quad Core Processor Q9000: 2.0 GHz, 1066MHz, 6MB On-Die L2 Cache
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M 1GB GDDR3 VRAM
Memory: DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM; 6GB SDRAM
Hard Drive: 640GB (320Gx2) 7200rpm

Honestly my biggest concern is the quality of the memory card...I've been told it's really good by one friend, but does the 260M compare to dual 280M's? My other friend thinks the 260M isn't good enough and won't last me as long as the 280M's. Even so, if I go with the Alienware, I'd be paying an extra 1.1k for the difference of the memory cards...which I don't think it would be worth it since the 260M is pretty top-of-the-line.

Honestly my biggest concern is the quality of the memory card...I've been told it's really good by one friend, but does the 260M compare to dual 280M's? My other friend thinks the 260M isn't good enough and won't last me as long as the 280M's. Even so, if I go with the Alienware, I'd be paying an extra 1.1k for the difference of the memory cards...which I don't think it would be worth it since the 260M is pretty top-of-the-line.

By memory card, do you mean graphics card? :p Anyways for a laptop, 260M is pretty top-of-the-line, yes. I personally would take that 1.1k and buy an enormous amount of coke or pepsi (ginger beer?), and try to fill a paddling pool with it :p

I think it boils down to what graphics settings you want to play at in two years time; with either laptop, you'll need to start putting them down within two years.

Well the GTX 260m is one of the top of the line ones, however its only on par with a 9800GT on the desktop side. Two GTX 280m's is equal to two 9800GTX+ 's.

problem is that you've put "gaming laptop, am i getting my monies worth"

my diagnosis is no, no laptop aimed at gaming will ever be as cost effective as a desktop. but considering for various reasons you cant get a desktop :p then whatever one you get, buy a laptop cooler lol if you dont want your privates to melt you might need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom