Buying a gaming laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaugamela

Beta member
Hi y'all!

I am an European currently living in the US for half a year and i am considering buying a gaming laptop while i am living here.

I saw this baby and found it an awesome rig:

Gateway Official Site: Shop - Notebooks - P-7811 FX Laptop Product Details

Gateway® P-7811 FX Edition

Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) SP1 Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor1 P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 cache) 4GB (4096MB) DDR3 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 2048MB modules) 200GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive w/ 16MB Cache5 NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800M GTS with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory 17.0" WUXGA Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix (1920 x 1200 max. resolution) FX Design with Copper Core Accent Intel® PM45 Chipset 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM featuring Labelflash™ Technology6 Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Web Cam

I would like to know your opinion about this laptop and if you guys know any laptop with similar or better specifications for a price untill $1500.

Also, and this is very important for me, do you guys know how the warranty works when i return to Europe if i buy this laptop or a similar one?

it is a nice lappy, consider putting money into a decent gaming sound card such as the x-fi notebook and a nice pair of headphones or a decent headset.

As for warranties - it differs from shop to shop and between manufacturers - some have international warranty, so ask for that when buying. By default consument rights in US are much weaker then in Europe, e.g. you might have e.g. only 30 days warrenty from some shops while in Europe you would hardly come across a warrenty shorter then a year. But having said that electronics tends to be cheaper in US.

generally with the warrenty you'll be able to just ship it to a place in your country if that company has an office there. if not you'll prolly have to ship it to the us which would suck.

but thats a really nice laptop.

I was also considering the Asus G50V, which seems to be more trustworthy.
I read about lots of problems with the Gateway computer.
Do you guys know about the Asus G50V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom