buying first laptop ever for 16th!! **Help Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark94

Beta member
Hey everybody, so I am looking for a laptop for my 16th. First laptop my parents are going to be buying me, and my first laptop ever.

Basically here is what I am looking for –
Price: 500-700 CAN
Speed: Preferably fast. Able to multi task, and have a game open and not slow down much
Graphics: Looking for some good graphics. Just enough to play Wow at max, and play Sims 2 maybe.
Memory: Not much of a concern, have a 500GB external harddrive but bigger would be better.
Outputs: Does not matter much, some HDMI, VGA or DVI would be nice but doesn't matter.
Screen Size: Something that is good for watching movies on, and playing Wow.
Brand: Anything if you can help prove it is reliable. I hear a lot of good things about Toshiba.

So I am going to be using it for school mainly, and maybe Wow if I can. Just would like it to be the BEST bang for the buck. Nothing online, I am going to go to either futureshop or bestbuy and buy one. I live in Canada so if you can go on the sites and maybe search around and help. I will also post some maybe you can give some suggestions.
Futureshop.ca
Bestbuy.ca

So here are a few I found. I have heard people suggesting that #1 and #2 are good. Not sure about the other 2 yet. I want a reliable laptop that won't ****ing break or **** like that.

I will not be taking it to school everyday, maybe hardly ever. it is mainly for home, and traveling around. Like typing things up around the house and ****, or if i ever have a presentation at school and need it i would bring it. Otherwise it would be at home, so im not worried about the weight at all.

Now here are some i found. Some HP's. MSI, and dell.

LMK which is best please. Or if you have any suggestions at all.

1. Toshiba Satellite 16" Intel Core i3 2.13GHz Laptop (L500-00F) - Black - Future Shop
2.Dell Inspiron 17 Laptop Details | Dell
3. HP Pavilion 14.1" Laptop featuring AMD Turion II Dual Core M500 (DV4-2048CA) - Black - Best Buy Canada
4. MSI 16" Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 2.2GHz Laptop (CX600) - English - Web Only - Future Shop
5. HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop featuring AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor M320 (DV6-2120CA) - White - Best Buy Canada
6. HP Pavilion 17.3" Laptop featuring AMD Athlon II Dual Core M300 (DV7-3028CA) - White - Best Buy Canada
7. HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop featuring AMD Athlon II Dual Core M300 (DV6-2028CA) - White - Best Buy Canada

Which 2 are best? I want the BEST bang for my buck. Also if you have any suggestions thats greatly appreciated also.

Welcome to TF!

Most any CPU can play those games, it depends more so on the graphic card.
I think a mid-range graphic card should be fine for you.
Memory isn't how much space you have on your HDD. 4GB is the standard these days. That should do you well. Most laptop drives are 120GB and up.
Screen size should be around 15-17" If you can get widescreen, that will be better for movie watching.
I trust Dell, Toshiba, ASUS, and Lenovo. Acers are good, but a little low on build quality.

He said not online btw.. Newegg is online, and everywhere else is over 700.

Also try Staples. I've got my last 2 laptops there.

At that price range, i'd really go and touch them. You'll find which feel cheap and how the track pads feel.

One last thing, try to get something WITHOUT an intel gpu.

Go to Futureshop. You can get any similar laptop to what Shiro was suggesting. I've never been to Futureshop myself, but they should be able to help you.

Well, I'm sure you can look around at the specs, at least.

And the Geek Squad only fixes computers, not sell computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom