Business Laptop/Upgrade SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Mak, no telling that a new piece of hardware is going to fix this issue if you don't even know what the issue is the first place. Save yourself some money and figure the issue out first.

You need to do some 'spring cleaning' before anything. It is free and may fix your sluggish performance.
-Uninstall all unneeded programs (You admitted they had a lot of bloatware and crapware on the system, uninstall them)
-Do a disk cleanup
-Do a disk defrag (multiple times if necessary)
-Do a disk check (requires a restart)
-After that go into msconfig and remove any programs that aren't necessary at startup. Also stop any services from starting that aren't needed.

Restart - see if that helps. If not i would run a diag on the hard drive to verify the hard drive is in fact going bad (possibly see if the bios has SMART enabled)

Why would I put xp on it? I don't have an xp disc....

Windows 7 home would be installed.

I'm confused, you said that even if you had an XP disk you said you weren't going to re-install everything from scratch as the techies would need to put it on the network etc.

If you put in a new hard disk and then install Windows 7 they'll still need to put it on the network and other stuff.

You need to get your techie people to perform some hardware diagnostics on the machine (I assume that they have such equipment/software) which will confirm if any parts of the computer are faulty. I use AMIDiag for older machines and QuickTech Pro for more modern machines and these are great tools to help diagnose any hardware problems.

For those at my place of work that can't relinquish their computers for the time it takes to do a complete rebuild I perform the following on their computers:

1 - run chkdsk/f at the command prompt, reboot and then let it check the hard disk for errors.
2 - run the Disk Cleanup Utility to remove any temp files
3 - have a look in Add/Remove programs and remove any programs that aren't needed and look out for 'suspicious' ones that may be spyware/adware orientated
4 - remove any unnecessary toolbars in IE

After doing those 4 things I then show them how to run a Defrag on their computer and get them to do it before they leave work and leave their computer on (but locked) over night for the defrag to run.

It might be worth trying the above to see if it helps or not.

:)

You need to do some 'spring cleaning' before anything. It is free and may fix your sluggish performance.
-Uninstall all unneeded programs (You admitted they had a lot of bloatware and crapware on the system, uninstall them)
-Do a disk cleanup
-Do a disk defrag (multiple times if necessary)
-Do a disk check (requires a restart)
-After that go into msconfig and remove any programs that aren't necessary at startup. Also stop any services from starting that aren't needed.

That last one is important. I dont even let my logitech software for my keyboard load with startup. Just antivirus and realtek audio controller.

Why would I put xp on it? I don't have an xp disc....

Windows 7 home would be installed.

The business may only us XP programs. So if she needs certain software and 7 doesn't support it, you are ******.

As said many times, as well as me, fix the problem. Never ever presume, find out the problem before you waste money.

No need to be rude.

I would've tried a clean install but I can't. No xp disc, and she doesn't want to do that, since they'd have to set it up with the servers and other stuff.
Wow trying to help and tell you the truth is rude? Sorry but the old saying goes, the truth hurts.

What is installing a new hard drive going to solve?

You will still have to get the tech people to do what they must. Cause you will have to install an OS to use. You still will have to defy her wishes and install the new OS. To top it off, it may not even be the hard drive that is the problem.

So riddle me this. What good is getting a new hard drive going to do? What if it turns out to be the RAM? What if it something more severe like the CPU or mobo? Then you just wasted how much money on buying a new HDD and a copy of Win7 to install.

You went from the first to 15th step without taking steps 2-14. Your jumping the gun to try and solve the problem when you have no clue if that is the problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom