Building my first laptop - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danton

Beta member
I am preparing to build my first laptop, and have chosen the parts I want, but am unsure how to know if everything's compatible.

MSI MS 1029 Barebones Notebook
Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 Hard Drive
Intel Pro MINI PCI WIRELESS Laptop WIFI Card

Could someone please tell me if these are compatible, or at least how to find out? Also, if I'm missing anything?

Unless you are building it online someplace, it's extremely hard to do.

There are places such as Dell, where it will let you choose what you want, but only that is compatible.

Avoid mobile Pentium 4's at all costs, they are beyond obsolete at this point and even when they were new they were poorly suited for use in laptops.

Patonb: what info do you need?

MindoverMaster: I'm really interested in the actual physical assembly. I've looked for barebones kits, but I've only found them for desktops. Unless you know somewhere where they do have them, I'm stuck with the pieces and parts approach.

Puddle Jumper: Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for what to replace it with?

Well what I mean is you give us nothing other than some generics.

Where are you buying the stuff from?

Laptops aren't, as you found out, really a build yourself setup.

Without a link to your barebones laptop, or specs and included, its hard to tell you what can even go in it.

More info you can give us, the more we can help..

A quick google search says theres no way an Intel chip will work... it only suports a turion or sempron processor.

Which is gonna be a bear to find...

g/l in this... You might be dissappointed in this endevor.

You aren't going to be able to put a laptop together yourself. Multiple reasons her, but the biggest is compatibility with the case. Most laptop cases are designed specifically for the processor and motherboard of one manufacturer. As you can see HP is different then Dell and so on. Your best bet as others have already stated is to just go to a website and design your own. I mean other than it saying Dell or HP on it you can seriously customize about anything you want (CPU, Video, RAM, size, battery, type of wi-fi, etc). all from the manuf. website.

Wow, ok. Thanks for the advice, sounds like I got in way over my head. I'm just glad I asked you guys before I started dishing out money!

Actually, I have one more question. I've found a lot of barebones kits online. The ones that come with all the pieces, and all you have to do is assemble them. However, I can only seem to find them for desktops. Does anybody know where, or if, I could find one for a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom