Building a handheld device i.e. laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraVires

Beta member
I am interested in learning how to build a handheld computer type of thing. I have an idea of how i would like it to run, im thinking a similar structure to an IPOD format with various headings and menus etc.

How would i go about sourcing parts, reading up on how to do such things etc. I am not bad with technological stuff but actual boards etc im not all too skilled with.

Any suggestions, sites i might want to check out would be useful..

Cheers

moving to laptop subforum......

You really can not build laptops the same way you can build desktops.
Some manufactures might give you a barebone which will have Motherboard / Sound / Display / Video / Network which you can build on top of that. However your choices are going going to be limited too
CPU
Ram
Optical Drive

Then maybe
Wireless
Bluetooth Modules
Webcams
High Resolution Display

And rarely you might have the option for a better video card, however your options will be very slim on what you can install.
Plus upgrading any part beyond harddrive, ram, optical drive after you purchased the laptop can be extremely costly where the improvement does not out way the upgrade costs.

I have found that the manufacturer's in the USA do allow you to contact them direct from custom configs, however the price you normally get from the manufacturer tends be higher than what you can purchase a pre-build from newegg (or where ever)

^ Yeah OCZ has their DIY notebook range.
I do Pioneer Laptops which are fully customizable. Acer Aust is suppose to be customizable, however i have found the options have been extremely limited. And there is Dell if you don't mind waiting 6 week.

I do Pioneer Laptops which are fully customizable. Acer Aust is suppose to be customizable, however i have found the options have been extremely limited. And there is Dell if you don't mind waiting 6 week.

Pioneer laptops ey? Never ever seen one before. Checked their website and they seem semi-decent.
Speaking of Acer, found a nice little model on their website: Aspire 4935G.

Pioneer laptops ey? Never ever seen one before. Checked their website and they seem semi-decent.
Speaking of Acer, found a nice little model on their website: Aspire 4935G.

Pioneer Notebooks & Computers: Buy custom built to order Laptops, PCs, Desktops, Servers and Security Systems.
I work as an agent for these guys. If you are after some thing 100% fully customisable, then these guys can build it for you. Locally built and supported. So far, I have found that a lot of the Australian office for Acer or Dell are extremely limited on what they can offer on customisability on laptops.
Acer - It's a case that I find that the number of upgrade options are lacking.
Dell - It's a case that I over all range of laptops are not there compaired to other brands.

I get a lot of the linux crowd buying them as they are one the few Australian computer manufacturers that will install Linux on the Laptop. A lot of the hard core linux users I get at my work don't like having to purchase a lapptop and then still have Windoze at part of a the price tag. Frankly i don't blame them as I would not want to purchase some thing that I have no interest in using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom