Browser

Yes ....... I think I'll install Avira. Prior to that will it be okay if I uninstall Norton from Control Panel ?

I guess 2 AVs together can cause big trouble.

Yes ....... I think I'll install Avira. Prior to that will it be okay if I uninstall Norton from Control Panel ?

I guess 2 AVs together can cause big trouble.

Use the tool I linked to in my last post to remove Norton. It does a better job of totally removing it from your system.

Correct, 2 AV's can potentially cause issues. Uninstall Norton with the removal tool, then install your chosen AV after you reboot. You can download the setup file prior to uninstalling/rebooting so that you can reinstall it right after you reboot.

Last couple of days have been harrowing. I have had things fixed now but not exactly to my satisfaction. Mozilla froze (almost) because of Norton. I uninstalled it, also uninstalled Norton and downloaded Avira. But download wasn't successful, presumably because whatever caused Mozilla to freeze continued to be an obstruction despite the removal of Mozilla & Norton. Then I had to uninstall Avira and needed to call the technician to detect the obstruction. He said he would need to reinstall the OS which he did. Unfortunately he's too great a fan of Norton and scared me as best as he could that Avira would work well for a year and then make my computer slow. So for the time being I said ok to reinstall Norton though he didn't charge me again for the av. Let's see how long Norton takes to get overly controlling.

The problem now is with configuration concerning browsers which I'll put up separately.

Last edited:
Unfortunately he's too great a fan of Norton and scared me as best as he could that Avira would work well for a year and then make my computer slow. So for the time being I said ok to reinstall Norton though he didn't charge me again for the av.

Shouldn't have given in... Norton is crap, plain and simple. Any piece of software can "make your computer slow after a year". Norton just does it faster :lol:. I'd still advise on removing it completely with the tool I suggested and then installing your AV of choice.

As for the tech reinstalling your OS...i'm sure that was just a cop-out, and he didn't actually attempt to troubleshoot. Reinstalling should be a last-resort, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom