Browser

Songbird

Baseband Member
Hi! After installing a new anti virus recently, Mozilla Firefox hasn't been working well after an automatic update. It's suddenly become too slow. Chrome and IE work okay though. But I use Firefox more often. If I uninstall it and download again, would that help?

I previously had AVG. But it was creating some problems. So I replaced it with Norton a few days ago.

BTW is it necessary to temporarily disable the AV prior to downloading Firefox?

Last edited:
Ditch Norton and replace it with a better, free AV such as Avira or Avast.

It shouldn't be, but Norton likes to take total control over a system for certain things.

I was using free AVG but u know what? It began stopping modem/router signals to my laptop and I couldn't connect. Would often have to disable it and then connect to the internet. That became a major problem. Actually the computer tech strongly advised I use Norton, though i don't like it much either. Will give it a try for another few days and then if necessary ditch it.

I was using free AVG but u know what? It began stopping modem/router signals to my laptop and I couldn't connect. Would often have to disable it and then connect to the internet. That became a major problem.

That's because AVG isn't very good anymore. That's why I suggested Avira or Avast.

Actually the computer tech strongly advised I use Norton, though i don't like it much either. Will give it a try for another few days and then if necessary ditch it.
Of course he was, because he's trying to make a sale ;). Why suggest a free AV when he can sell you something? If he wasn't trying to make a sale...then IMO, he isn't much of a tech if he thinks Norton is a great AV.

You're right. If i use Avast or Avira can I download it free from the web?

Another query ... while downloading Firefox do i uninstall the old one or will it download over it?

You're right. If i use Avast or Avira can I download it free from the web?
Yes, both are freely available:
Avira Free Antivirus - Download the best free antivirus software
https://www.avast.com/
My preference is Avira, but Avast is still fairly decent.
This is how I make my choice: AV-Comparatives Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - AV-Comparatives
They do monthly tests, and a yearly summary report.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/avc_sum_201412_en.pdf

Avira scored slightly higher than any of the other free AV's.

Another query ... while downloading Firefox do i uninstall the old one or will it download over it?

You can try installing over the top - but may be a good idea to uninstall / install fresh.

Back
Top Bottom