Broken Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

athalia7

Beta member
I recently broke the screen to my Laptop instead of fixing my almost out dated laptop (toshiba) I thought I would just atach another screen, it currently works fine the problem is that Monitor is just an extentsion of my laptop screen which makes things frustrating when the mouse disappears off the screen on to the laptop screen which I cant see.

Question: How do I make the Secondary screen primary and exculsive?

depends on which OS you run. i run server 08 (vista) and this is how i do it:
on your desktop, right click and select "personalize"
select "display settings"
you will have a menu that has a picture of monitor "1" and monitor "2"
click on monitor "2"
check box that says "extend the desktop to this monitor" (you have likely already done this)
check box that says "this is my main monitor"
click back on monitor "1"
uncheck box that says "extend the desktop to this monitor"
click apply and your external screen should be the sole monitor.

hope that helps. if you are using XP you will have to wait for another member, i cant remember how to do it and i dont have any machines running xp.

In XP is it close to what Naga posted.

Right click the desktop and select Properties. Then select the Settings option. From there follow the instructions provided by Naga.

Just a word of warning. This may not show up on your current monitor as it might be set to open on the primary desktop which is the one attached to the Laptop which is currently not working.

So being as such you may have to click around a bit to try and grab the window and drop it on the monitor which you are using.

On some laptops if you close the built in display, it will show up as being disconnected. That way it will adjust for external-only mode. If the built in display has been removed, press the lid switch.

Thank you, I had thought I had made my monitor the main screen instead of my laptop screen but my problem is that I cannot make it the primary screen because on both 1st and 2nd screens the check box for 'use this device as the primary monitor' is grayed out and the lap top screen is checked and grayed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom