Boot Loader issue \BOOT\BCD

akitta

Beta member
SORRY If Post is in wrong section.

I recently purchased a Sony Vaio MODEL NUM -SVE151E11M-.
It had Windows 8 Installed. I used my old Ubuntu 9.10 Live Cd to dual-boot (well attempt) the Laptop. The Disc was corrupted (Scratched), It created a grub then failed to install the O.S. After Reboot.
I was Getting Error
>> Winndows Boot Manager
>> \BOOT\BCD
>> 0x000000e
>> The Boot config for your pc is missing or contains errors.
>> Insert instalation disc or contact Admin.

I payed £700 for this Laptop and the man at Pc-World wanted a extra £50 for the instillation discs (??).
I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 and used unetbootin to install it on the partition Ubuntu 9.10 had created.
I get the option to boot into ubuntu or windows 8 at the grub menu but i receive the error above when trying to boot into windows.
I tried downloading Win 7 to a DVD to repair windows boot config, It gave me uncompatable error message.
I still have..
>> SONY Partition
>> Windows RE
>> Recovery partition.
I've done some research and tried using Secure Boot and F-10 Key to repaiir system but i get errors also.
If anyone can help i will post all error messages that are required to fix problem.
Can i make a Restore disc from ubuntu or a sony restore disc.
I was going to try and download Win 8 next and see if i can repair from that.
All Files are still in the Folders. > RECOVERY > SONY > WINDOWS RE.
And i can access the Partition from Ubuntu.
Hope someone can help. Thankyou

From what I can tell a good idea would be to start off by resetting the MBR or master boot record. thats where I would start and see if that fixes it. If it does then it was the grub with the problem if it doesn't then you need to repair your partitions using a partitioning linux distro.

If a mod could confirm my thoughts I would feel more confident in helping you.

I've got gparted on ubuntu. But i wouldn't know were to start (i know it's /sda1. I suppose i could do some googling to see how it works.
If you could help i would be very gratefull..!!

From what I can tell a good idea would be to start off by resetting the MBR or master boot record. thats where I would start and see if that fixes it. If it does then it was the grub with the problem if it doesn't then you need to repair your partitions using a partitioning linux distro.

If a mod could confirm my thoughts I would feel more confident in helping you.
I don't want to reset the MBR.
I don't want to loose the Linux Partition (It as taken a lot of work to get it were i want it) :p
I've burned a .iso of Win 8 just going to try use that to see if i can repair.. If not I think I'l have to go down that route.
Windows 7 disc would not Repair it ..... AnyWayz Here Goes Nothin..!

Back
Top Bottom