Blue Line on Screen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Blue Line on Screen

Ok so I was just typing along, generally multitasking with Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, Ovi Suite and Safari for PC when suddenly a blue line appeared near my sidebar. It runs from top to bottom of the LCD screen.

However, I am confused, as this doesnt seem to be an LCD problem since when I run the mouse over it, the mouse is on top of the line, meaning I can see the entirety of the mouse, and the blue line does not go over it. However it is on top of every other running application.

That was last night, just before I shut my laptop down. This morning I opened it and it was still there. Advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Blue Line on Screen

Does the line showup in the same place in safemode?
Does the line showup when you connect the laptop to an external monitor?

If it shows up in safemode and on an external monitor, your graphics card is shot.
If it shows up in safemode and not on an external monitor, your screen is shot.
IF it doesn't show up in safemode it is a software conflict / issue, try doing a system restore to a point before this occured.

-Vista SME
Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I'll try to see if it shows up in safemode. If it does, and its the graphics card, it will be fine since I'm just waiting for the motherboard i ordered a few weeks ago due to a controller error. They said the board would take from 1 to 3 months to ship. I'll go check now.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via MSN to bluemac

It's still most likely your LCD. The cursor is probably solid white. What happens if you drag something coloured red, blue or yellow across it?

I should think you'll need to replace the LCD. Assuming we're talking about a laptop, you'll probably be able to find a screen on the likes of eBay for anything from £50 upwards. It's a relatively easy job to get them swapped out, and there are no end of tutorials online. Do your tests first though, by no means am I saying you should go LCD shopping yet!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Hmm, it seems its the LCD. Connected it to my external monitor and the display is fine. Anyway, I was wondering if a problem on the motherboard could be the problem here, like perhaps the controller for the LCD, since the problem with my board is that my sister spilled something on it. The entire PC is still useable. I was just wondering if that's possible, before I go LCD shopping. Then again I can just order the LCD when I get the board. No money right now coz tuition fees for med school is pretty big. LOL.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If it doesnt show up on any other monitor, then it is not the mobo. Cause the onboard GFX has to be used to display it even with a external monitor. So it is the LCD.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Ah, I see. I just thought it may be possible that the connection between the LCD and the Mobo may have gotten problems. Anyway. Thanks.

Closed Thread