Blocking ALL chatrooms

etmccarthy13

Baseband Member
Im the network administrator at my place of employment. One of the owners would like a certain individual to get a laptop so he can work from home as well. That person has a history of spending countless hours at work in chat rooms when he should be doing other things (not to mention the bugs that are found in chat rooms)... All my other PCs are on Term accounts so i was able to block sites on every other work station but am unsure of how to do it on an individuals laptop...

Whats the best way of going about this?

Netnanny? What about using a VPN where he has to sign into work from home to be capable of using the laptop, which would allow any policies you have to roll over to him?

You can give that user a standard account. This way you can create and lockdown the admin. On the admin side, you can try playing around in the firewall settings (or maybe look for software) to block certain websites/ports that may be used for such chatrooms.

Guessing the user won't be really needing admin privileges if it's for only work. Sorry for being so vague, it's just basically the idea I had in mind.

I want to avoid monitoring software because im not trying to pry or invade. Just only want to limit

Is there a way to force VPN?? He will have VPN access.. Its nothing to disconnect from VPN and do what ever you want without being noticed..

I guess one route I could go is to monitor all Terminal connections... Once i can prove that stuff is going on that shouldnt then management will approve a barricuda device..

Does server 2012 already have a way to monitor web activity??

I guess one route I could go is to monitor all Terminal connections... Once i can prove that stuff is going on that shouldnt then management will approve a barricuda device..

Does server 2012 already have a way to monitor web activity??
Yea you can go down the monitoring route and gather evidence that would support your claim. Not sure about Server 2012.

Also you may want to edit your post next time, double posting can get you a warning as it is against the rules.

Edit: Was randomly browsing through for web filtering software, this looks (Free Web Content Filtering Software - Handy Filter) pretty neat if you wanted to give it a try. You don't have to use it for "spying", you can just keep it for the filtering aspect.

Sorry about the double posting!!!

I will prob take the monitoring route... Does anyone have any FREE ways to monitor traffic?? A role or feature add on for server 2012 would be perfect if it has something that will do that

Sorry about the double posting!!!

I will prob take the monitoring route... Does anyone have any FREE ways to monitor traffic?? A role or feature add on for server 2012 would be perfect if it has something that will do that
Haha it's cool, at least you know now before you get a warning :). As to be on topic, I'm not quite certain but hopefully someone would jump in and save you soon :p.

Back
Top Bottom