Black Screen Issue

Nateman25

Solid State Member
Hello, again. This time, I've a different issue.

In my possession is an almost-new HP M6 sleekbook, model K010DX. The laptop in question has been suffering from a recurring issue that I've done almost everything to resolve. Initially, it required a wipe, and through some very difficult formatting I managed to fully clean the drive and install a new 8.0 operating system on it.

The constant theme now is that the laptop will quite randomly drop it's display (from desktop, to just a plain black screen). The fan is still running and the keyboard lights are on, save that the caps lock LED will not come on. I have already removed the battery (which was non-removeable) because it had signs of deterioration. This is a problem that it had prior to me wiping the drive. I don't believe it can be heat related, because 1. ) I've used it with and without a cooling pad, same issue. 2.) I've used it with and without a fan constantly running on it (like a desk fan) and it still occurs. 3.) Prior to closing it back up, I made sure that the internals were clean. In fact, it was VERY clean even before I did some very mild cleaning.

What is the issue with this? It happens at complete random, sometimes while booting, sometimes while in use.. I can never replicate the issue to find a cause because it happens on a whim. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Did you update video drivers? What about chipset, audio, and any special device drivers from HP specifically, such as keyboard drivers/utilities?

Could be a power issue. I've heard of defects in the display processing where screen powering is specifically defective, mostly with some HP laptops a while back. As CarnageX said, check your visual drivers and make sure they are updated. Sometimes uninstalling certain drivers (if possible without problems) and then re-installing them is the best choice. But if its happening this spontaneously, then it really seems like some sort of malfunction either in the power or display end.

It seems unlikely its a virus but I'd check to see if it is a PUP, there are some of those prank programs people are coming out with that has only one purpose : to mess with people, and make them think there is something more severe going on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom