Bios upadates from within windows?

maddangerous

In Runtime
hey TF

This is a Toshiba Portege R705 P/N is PT314U-017018

so its been a few years since i have updated a bios, and my girl wanted me to check out her laptop as it has been acting up for a while.

Turns out, she hasn't updated anything with windows/the toshiba tools since before windows 7 SP1 was released :facepalm:

so i have 2 questions:

1: is it safe to update the bios with this Toshiba tool? ive never done it that way, and the last time i updated the BIOS of a computer was like ~10 years ago. if i turn this into a brick im a dead man.

2: really, how likely is it to brick a computer doing this?

I would really like to do this, there are some pretty important updates, but if the chance of bricking this is too high, ill let her dad do it :lol: id rather not face the wrath.

Let me know if you guys need any more info

Edit: i do have permission to do this stuff, so it is known

Last edited:
hey TF

This is a Toshiba Portege R705 P/N is PT314U-017018

so its been a few years since i have updated a bios, and my girl wanted me to check out her laptop as it has been acting up for a while.

Turns out, she hasn't updated anything with windows/the toshiba tools since before windows 7 SP1 was released :facepalm:

so i have 2 questions:

1: is it safe to update the bios with this Toshiba tool? ive never done it that way, and the last time i updated the BIOS of a computer was like ~10 years ago. if i turn this into a brick im a dead man.

2: really, how likely is it to brick a computer doing this?

I would really like to do this, there are some pretty important updates, but if the chance of bricking this is too high, ill let her dad do it :lol: id rather not face the wrath.

Let me know if you guys need any more info

Edit: i do have permission to do this stuff, so it is known

1. Most BIOS utilities for laptops are Windows-based nowadays. What they usually do is copy over the BIOS files to a hidden boot, system reboots, and then flashes the new BIOS.

2. There's still a chance to brick, but it's usually fairly low. Just disable AV if you can, make sure nothing else is running, and plug it into AC (most BIOS update utilities won't run unless you're plugged into AC anyway).

Back
Top Bottom