Biometric device problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchan05

In Runtime
I am using an HP Pavilion dm4-1125, and I can use the Fingerprint Reader to log into my Windows account. However, control panel does not show Biometric Devices, and HP SimplePass program has stopped working, not allowing me to manage my fingerprint data. Looking into Device Manager, under Biometric Devices there is only the Validity Sensor, which tells me it has the latest drivers installed.

I don't know what happened, it just suddenly stopped working one day. It was exam week and it did not really stop me from doing anything on my computer apart from making me feel really has no fingerprint reader. However now the problem is that I can't configure my fingerprints anymore.

Help?

Ok, so I found an instruction set in the HP forums where I learned how to update the HP SimplePass software to the latest version. The problem became a bit worse, or maybe exchanged one problem for another. While I can now open HP SimplePass for configuration, the Control Panel now does not detect the fingerprint scanner, so the whole computer acts as if there is no scanner installed. It says install drivers, but how do I install drivers when I don't know the what exactly the fingerprint reader's details are?

That's what I thought as well. When I go to Device manager, it detects the validity sensor biometric device but it tells me it has latest drivers.

Ok I found the answer. Turns out that HP has 3 different SimplePass programs: 1 for the notebooks without scanners, and 2 different ones depending on what hardware the scanner is. Turns out I needed the Egis one, and I had tried only installing the other 2, mainly because the Egis was still a 2011 program while the other two already had 2012 versions. Seems like there is still no update for the Egis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom