Better to buy locally because of warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends on how much you want to spend on the laptop. If you're getting a $400 laptop, it's probable not worth spending the money and wasting the time to get a better warranty. If you're buying a $1000+ laptop then it's probable worth spending the extra $100-$200 to deal with having the laptop fixed. I'm hoping to get a $5000 on scholarship soon, and I'm spending about $500 on Dell's 4-year advanced warranty, which also covers a broken screen, liquid spilled on the comp, etc.

Bottom line, I would look at the price of the laptop and the quality of the warranty and decide from there which one you want.

There's no way in **** I'd pay that much for a warranty.

#1- They are still asses about it and probably fight it every inch of the way so they don't have to fix it for free.

#2- I doubt it'll break enough to be worth $500 over 4 years.

#3- 2-3 years into the warranty you could probably buy a laptop for $500 that's better than your current one

#4- Will you even have it for 4 years?

#5- I'm sure there is small print to it. Like the liquid thing..it probably covers some sort of liquid you would NEVER have near your computer..but not really cover stuff like water/soda/coffee.

#6 - I've heard so many horror stories about sending in laptops to be fixed. Totally different laptop sent back, sent to replace a network card and they change the GPU, they forget to send the battery back, random parts missing, etc etc etc. I'd rather just save they money and keep it just in case it breaks and you need to buy a new one...Or send it to a local shop to fix it.

#7- $500 itself can buy a decent laptop. So in reality is any laptop worth a $500 warranty? That's like 1/3-1/4 of the price for a $1500-2000 laptop. That's quite ridiculous if you really think about it.

Not trying to be an ***...just hopefully saving you some money lol. But I guess if you're one of these people who drop things constantly and you'll need to have it fixed 2-3 times a year I guess this would be worth it.

on topic : I'd probably buy locally. Even if it's cheaper the hassle of sending it back in and everything would be extreme. But on the other hand....your warranty might make you send it back to the states on your own dime anyway.....so I would research all the options before buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom