Best Multimedia Laptop for 600 dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durniok

Solid State Member
Hello,

My name is Kyle and I plan on going to college in a few months, but I need a computer in order to keep up with class work and writing assignments. (Not to mention being able to stash music and pictures on it). I also would like to be able to play Guildwars on it.

Specs for guildwar are as follows:

Windows XP/2000
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or equivalent
1 GB RAM
CD-ROM Drive
4 GB Available HDD Space
ATI Radeon 9600 or GeForce FX 5700 Series Video Card or above
Sound Blaster® X-FiTM series Sound Card
Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse
DirectX 9

I love the game, but my home PC just can't handle it.

Could you guys reccomend me some parts in order to construct an awesome multimedia laptop?

I would appreciate it if you posted sites where to get the parts, what the sites are charging. My budget is 600 dollars. With a 50 dollar allowance.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Hi Kyle.

Those are the lowest settings it will run on. That does not mean you will get flying colors and 3d.

Can you buy online? What screen size would you like?

Any laptop can pretty much play music and view pictures.

I would personally recommend any of the ASUS models, as they are superior in my eyes.

Well, I would like good resolution of course, so lets say I can go up to 700? With the 50 dollar allowance. :p

Well, I would like good resolution of course, so lets say I can go up to 700? With the 50 dollar allowance. :p

Newegg.com - MSI CX700-027US NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T4300(2.10GHz) 17.3" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite L555D-S7005 NoteBook AMD Turion II M520(2.3GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon HD 4200 - Laptops / Notebooks

I just want to point out that both of those would get blown out of the water by the Asus I suggested, performance wise.
But they both have larger screens/resolutions.

Most modern laptops will suit you, when you do buy one don't be conned into buying office 07 or 10 get Open offfice as it's just as featured stable and free, also don't pay for the anti virus software in the shop they push it hard because of the 65% profit they make on it use AVG or Avast free editions they are superior to what most chain stores will sell you.

Also, don't be tempted to buy a laptop bag get a cheep sleeve and put that inside a normal bag because (and I am talking from experience) thieves know that if you have a Targus or Antler messenger bag there is a good chance you have a laptop. Save's you a bit of cash and stops crime.

Also I would try to avoid media laptops, because you pay a premium isn't always going to mean you end up with a decent machine, normaly I would recomend a thinkpad but your budget is a little too tight for one so I would say Toshiba is your best bet.

Most modern laptops will suit you, when you do buy one don't be conned into buying office 07 or 10 get Open offfice as it's just as featured stable and free, also don't pay for the anti virus software in the shop they push it hard because of the 65% profit they make on it use AVG or Avast free editions they are superior to what most chain stores will sell you.

Also, don't be tempted to buy a laptop bag get a cheep sleeve and put that inside a normal bag because (and I am talking from experience) thieves know that if you have a Targus or Antler messenger bag there is a good chance you have a laptop. Save's you a bit of cash and stops crime.

Also I would try to avoid media laptops, because you pay a premium isn't always going to mean you end up with a decent machine, normaly I would recomend a thinkpad but your budget is a little too tight for one so I would say Toshiba is your best bet.

Thank you very much for all your information, I really appreciate it.

So what you're saying is that multimedia laptops are really inflated in price due to a premium?

What if I went with the ASUS mentioned earlier? Would that be a good idea? :p

Looking at the specs, yes.

@Saxon: I do agree with OpenOffice and getting your own A/V. The only thing is, I trust Comodo these days. IMO, it is superior to AVG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom