Best laptop for a student - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Best laptop for a student

In fact, let me just say this.. maybe I won't be doing ANY gaming at all. By light gaming I meant games like Fifa 07 or Fifa Manager, sort of sports/car games. No shooter or WOW or anything because frankly I can't play games on a small cramped laptop.

The apple deal sounds good with the student discount doesn't it?

but what's the compabtility like with with softwares such as word and powerpoint and maple and etc.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

you could go for a low/mid priced dell with vista

Old 08-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
(>-_-)>

Send a message via AIM to dashogun Send a message via MSN to dashogun Send a message via Yahoo to dashogun

Don't spend the extra buck for vista. Just stick with XP Pro for now. It'll save you a hassle.

My computer is now officially out of date :<
Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I wouldnt buy apple either. But then again I hate most everything apple.

Ever try and use the apple based excel?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Techie

...or buy ms office for mac at your campus bookstore for 25 dollars. some schools even have it free.

there are essentially no compatibility issues since you can dual boot a macbook with windows os. but like i said, just get ms office for mac
Old 08-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashogun View Post
Don't spend the extra buck for vista. Just stick with XP Pro for now. It'll save you a hassle.
hassle?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm926 View Post
hassle?
The hassle is wasting $100 on XP pro right now instead of Vista since you'll have to upgrade eventually (which some idiots like to do nowadays).

Dell Vostro 1700:
C2D T5470, 8600m GT, WXGA+ screen, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, Vista Ultimate
Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Techie

So I shoudln't go for a mac?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Kubel

Most schools reserve Macs for pre-publishing and photoshop classes. So unless you are focusing your education on those classes, I would not get a Mac. At my college, everything else was PC (WinXP), and even my Photoshop class had both PC and Mac workstations. I would focus on getting a system that meets the requirements of most of your classes. And for most colleges, they suggest a PC. Also check with your school to see what OS they use. Most still use Windows XP. Some are jumping up to Vista (or will be as soon as SP1 is released).

I would suggest a Dell Vostro 1400. They are smaller (14.1" widescreen), more durable than consumer notebooks (since they are business models), cheap (a well equipped system can be had for $800 or less), can be equipped with Windows XP or Vista Business through Dell Small Business (at least they were last time I checked), and can also be equipped with nVidia 8400M GS dedicated graphics (very nice to see in a 14.1").

Since you need a student laptop, I would suggest you stick with higher build quality models. That rules out just about every consumer notebook out there. Look for business class Asus's, Compaq's, Lenovo's, Dell's, etc... Something with a magnesium alloy chassis, spill proof keyboard, shock resistant hard drive, etc... You want a laptop that's a bit rugged that can handle being thrown into a backpack that doesn't get crushed with 3 or 4 textbooks in there with it. You don't need a Panasonic Toughbook- just get something that will last more than a year of rough handling and college abuse.

Another nice thing about the Vostro 1400 is you can equip it with a 2 year warranty for under $100. If you purchase with a credit card (depending on the card), you can get an extended 1-2 year warranty for free. So your 2 year peace of mind now becomes 3 or 4 years, enough to get you through most of your schooling.

And before you buy, head over to notebookreview.com, punch in the model, and look through the reviews. NBR publishes very detailed reviews (much better than cnet or the other big sites). The 1400 review is located here: Dell Vostro 1400 Review
~Romans 1:16
Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Techie

WOW!

magnificent post. Very, very helpful. Thanks very much for this and other responses.

Is a mac not durable then? the only reason I'm considering macs is because I've never used them and I guess I'm a bit curious and want to play with them because of their sleek styling and what not.

Closed Thread