Best laptop for a student

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
Hello,

Am a college student and am looking to buy a laptop. I'm not looking for a gaming machine but definitely a fast machine that would at least run some low requirements games.

I don't want a huge laptop but small and nimble would be nice. I am intrigued by the apple powerbooks and their sleek styling and OS.

Thanks

I recommend maybe building your own Dell if you can afford it. The Dell website offers coupons on its notebook series, so although your killer build might cost 1,450 dollars, you can knock it down to 1,100. That's only $100 more than the satellite option, yet the package you get would be much much better.

The cheap laptops will also run great for typical tasks (office etc, even MatLab and Maple will run OK, as long as you're not doing anything HUGE).

Hey,

I am going into my senior year of college, and will be studying abroad this fall. So I just got myself a laptop as well. I found mine at Circuit City. It's a HP Pavilion dv6449. I have loved it so far. After rebates, it's only $750. I'd go with HP

If you like Apple, you should take advantage of the college promotion they have going on. Get a macbook for $1000 and give/sell/ keep ipod. Great deal if you're not a hardcore gamer.

But Dell for laptops then is a good option? I was always skeptical about dell.

Also, what about Sony and Toshiba laptops?

and my budget is around $1000. Perhaps a litte more than that would be okay.

Dells are ok.. Not the best quality obviously but they're really sturdy and should last.. Probably the best option under 1000.

Sonys are overpriced (and come with an amazing amount of bloatware) and Toshibas are just meh..

I'd go for the dell or an hp6500/2500 but the HPs get worse specs for the $ compared to the Dell.

The bad thing about the dells is that they're thick and heavier then the norm but there aren't many good light options at this price.

Oh yeah and you can also get a Macbook for $1100 or something with an edu discount but they of course won't play games well at all.

eh i wouldnt say macbooks wont run any games well. using bootcamp you can run windows xp, and knowing that the mb does have some solid hardware... 2.16ghz core 2 duo with 4mb cache, and you can get 2gb of ram (highly recommended) which is enough for some light gaming, even on the gma950.

i think the advantages of os-x are worth having the dropoff in gaming. if you're going to college you should focus on your studies! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom