a beginner with cpu problams? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy a beginner with cpu problams?

I am running a compaq presario v2565us without any kind of modifications and windows xp home sp 3. Whenever I try to do anything cpu intensive: for example install nero burning software, run a ds emulator or any semi current game my computer shuts down. And we are talking shuts down and boots up without a problem like i meant to shut it down. I ran the Ultimate Boot CD v4.1.1 and ran some of the cpu tests. They all seemed to kill my machine at differing intervals on all three tests. My comp. will run fine forever as long as I don't do anything cpu intensive. What I am wondering is If i buy a new and replace my old cpu will that fix the problem. I would hate to waste the money.

Thanks in advance for any help.
C.W. Johnson

Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: a beginner with cpu problams?

I would first open the case and check the cpu fan. It is most likely clogged with dust or the fan is not spinning causing your cpu to overheat. clean it with some compresses air. You may also need to pull the heatsink and clean the fins of excess dust then remount with a new application of thermal paste. If you do not have any pick up some tx-2.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah, overheating would be the first concern. be sure not to apply too much thermal compound.

if you still have the same issue, check for overheating on the north and southbridge, then check idle cpu usage.
There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Lightbulb Re: a beginner with cpu problams?

thank you very much. I'll have to try that when i get home from work.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Slow to the punch haha.

Yup, look for it overheating since a failing processor usually will not allow the computer to turn on, let alone get anywhere near working.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Thumbs up Re: a beginner with cpu problams?

tried the dusting with the compressed air. Got out dime sized dust bunnies. working better(installed nero) but not perfect yet. I'm waiting for my shipment of thermal gel. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Not that it matters, as paste is paste, what kind did you get?

As said above, firstly I would check the fan. If you are using the standard heatsink, that may be your problem. If not, reapply your thermal paste.

Neowin.net Steam Account
Closed Thread