Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

echox91

Baseband Member
So it's like..if your battery is at 50% or so, it'd be a bad idea to start charging it, right?
Okay, then what if it was fully discharged, then charged back up to 100% again, but the adaptor is left in the laptop. Is that bad? If so how bad? lol

Here is something from my main suppliers of 3rd Party Laptop Batteries

HP-COMPAQ Laptop Battery Articles & Tips

A new HP-COMPAQ laptop battery comes in a discharged condition and must be charged before use (refer to the devices manual for charging instructions). Upon initial use (or after a prolonged storage period) the digital camcorder HP-COMPAQ 364602-001 may require three to four charge/discharge cycles before achieving maximum capacity. New HP-COMPAQ 364602-001 needs to be fully charged and discharged (cycled) a few times before it can condition to full capacity. Rechargeable batteries undergo self-discharging when left unused. Always store a Laptop Battery pack in a fully charged staged for storage.When charging the HP-COMPAQ 364602-001 for the first time the device may indicate that charging is complete after just 10 or 15 minutes. This is a normal phenomenon with rechargeable batteries. Remove the camcorder batteries from the device, reinsert it and repeat the charging procedure

It is important to condition (fully discharge and then fully charge) the HP-COMPAQ 364602-001 every two to three weeks. Failure to do so may significantly shorten the battery's life (this does not apply to Li-ion batteries, which do not require conditioning). To discharge, simply run the device under the battery's power until it shuts down or until you get a low battery warning. Then recharge the battery as instructed in the user's manual. If the battery will not be in use for a month or longer, it is recommended that HP-COMPAQ 364602-001 be removed from the device and stored in a cool, dry, clean place.

Invest in a good charger for your camcorder. Ni-MH batteries should not be charged in a NiCad charger, unless the charger is specifically made for both chemistries. There are cheap chargers and there are expensive chargers. Make sure the charger you get has good reviews and is well made. Chargers with micro-controller chips are usually the best choice of your digital camcorder.

Be sure to store your Laptop Battery properly. Do not leave your batteries in a hot car, or in humid conditions. The best storage conditions are a cool, dry place. The refrigerator is fine if you stick in a packet of silica gel with your HP-COMPAQ 364602-001 in a sealed bag to keep them dry. It is a good idea to charge your NiCad or Ni-MH batteries fully before use if they have been in storage.

How Can I Maximize the performance of My HP-COMPAQ Laptop Battery?

There are several steps you can take to help you get maximum performance from your Laptop Battery:

Prevent the Memory Effect - Keep the Laptop Battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks. Exceptions to the rule are Li-ion batteries which do not suffer from the memory effect.

Keep the HP-COMPAQ Laptop Battery Clean - It's a good idea to clean dirty battery contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. This helps maintain a good connection between the battery and the portable device.

Exercise the Battery - Do not leave the battery dormant for long periods of time. We recommend using the battery at least once every two to three weeks. If an Laptop Battery has not been used for a long period of time, perform the new battery break in procedure described above.

Battery Storage - If you don't plan on using the Laptop Battery for a month or more, store it in a clean, dry, cool place away from heat and metal objects. NiCad, Ni-MH and Li-ion batteries will self-discharge during storage; remember to recharge the batteries before use.
Ignor the references to HP-Compaq and just apply that to all batteries.

I hope this helps

woahh fully discharge and charge at least once every two to three weeks? i try to do that all the time loll guess it isn't so necessary?
i've always felt kinda bad about just leaving the adaptor in there..even after it's been fully discharged and fully charged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom