battery not charging

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my old laptop for some odd reason is not charging the battery. it does initially when i first plug it in, but shuts off after about a minute. the indicator shows the battery is only at 57%. so it should charge. i looked in the advanced power settings, but i could not find a place that even mentions battery charging. i need an idea or two. this is a HP Compaq nc8436.

You sure that's the model? Google comes up with pretty much nothing for that.

How old is the laptop? Battery is probably just shot and needs replaced. It happens.

sorry, i even had my glasses on. the model is nc8430. i have another related question. if the battery IS at 57%, rather than fully charged, what should the voltage be? this computer has seen better days, and i am wondering if the sensor is reading incorrectly.

Yeah, it's a laptop from 2006 - the battery is just dying from age (and possibly heat).

The voltage should remain the same no matter what - it's the Wh (wattage-hours), or capacity that will change.

Run HWMonitor: HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

It should show you what the designed/current capacities of the battery are that the sensor is reading.

Also, check here for some useful Lithium battery info: http://www.techist.com/forums/f64/useful-lithium-battery-information-248289/ (specifically the first post will pertain to Lithium-Ion batteries in general - the 2nd post is geared more towards phones).

Back
Top Bottom