backlit keyboards that are not made by Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDarknez

Baseband Member
I'm not trying to diss Apple or start a flame war here, but are there any companies that make laptops with backlit keyboards other than Apple? I'm going to be using it strictly for dj'ing, and I don't want to have to learn a whole new OS, especially if something breaks while playing live. But in the darkness of a dj booth or in the corner of a bar, the backlit option is real nice.

Also, the Macbooks are expensive!

Why not get a laptop then get some neon or something else and put that around your keyboard to backlit it manually? I knwo they sell those fiber tubes that do lighting.

AFAIK there is no laptop that has this. But i also have not done much research for that particular item either.

Why not get a laptop then get some neon or something else and put that around your keyboard to backlit it manually? I knwo they sell those fiber tubes that do lighting.

AFAIK there is no laptop that has this. But i also have not done much research for that particular item either.

I've thought about it, but it's just more stuff to carry around. I know it doesn't seem like much, but the less a mobile dj has to carry around, the better.

You can install Windows on new Mac PC's...

I don't know of any backlit keyboards though, but Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad's have a little LED in the top of the screen that shines down on the keyboard so you can see it in the dark.

I've thought about it, but it's just more stuff to carry around. I know it doesn't seem like much, but the less a mobile dj has to carry around, the better.
The stuff i was thinking about is realy small and thin. It should not hamper you closing the lid at all.

LED Fiber Optic Sea Grass from Off The Deep End... The LED String Light Store

I was thinking about the type of stuff you see on this item here. It is super small and super thin but would produce light for you to see a keyboard. ;)

Alienware is cheaper than some apple's. Dell should offer it on one of their laptops then. As Dell owns alienware now...

Alienware makes back-lit keyboards on their laptops, however they're quite expensive. =p

I just looked at Alienware, thanks. I had totally forgotten about them. I used to know a guy (this was 5 years ago) who had one but he had problems with the power supply. How reliable are they?

Alienware is cheaper than some apple's. Dell should offer it on one of their laptops then. As Dell owns alienware now...

The only Alienware I found with a backlit keyboard was about $1800, on par I think with the MacBook

How about something like this.

Cables To Go - USB Notebook Light

No good, unfortunately. The product I plan on using needs to use one of the USB ports. If I'm sporting an external hard drive, then I can't use the light, since most lappy's have only 2 USB ports.

You can buy stuff like this:

Illuminated Keyboards at Xoxide.com - Illuminated Computer Keyboards

But you've gotta carry around a second keyboard where ever you go.

Yeah, that would seem like it would work, but it would just take up too much room, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom