Automotive Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwall174

Beta member
I'm looking for a power supply to run my laptop from my truck. I haven't been able to find one that matches the exact output as my 120 volt adapter. The 120 volt adapter that came with my laptop has a output of 20 volts / 3.25A

The best match I have found is one rated at 20 volts / 4.00A !
Does the higher Amp rating create any problems?

Just buy an inverter for your truck. It'll plug into your cigarette lighter, and convert to 120v AC. Can get 'em from RadioShack for like $20-80, depending on what size you want. Laptop won't take much, so you could get one of the smaller ones unless you wanted to run more things on it too (I know truckers get 'em to run TV's and such on as well).

Just buy an inverter for your truck.
(I know truckers get 'em to run TV's and such on as well).

I'm a truck driver & I have used inverters before & unless you get a good "True Sine Wave" inverter which start around $150 you will get a lot of interference with lines in the screen & a low humm in the speakers.

I would rather just get a power supply that's setup for 12V I'm just not sure if the higher amp rating would cause any problems?

You're going to be better off with the inverter, I've never had any problems with them.

I bought some cheapy inverter from walmart for 40 bucks or so and wedged it between my seat and center console and could charge whatever I needed that way.

Are you looking for like a direct plugin to 12v? Sorry running on no sleep right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom