Asus PRO31S cd/DVD divice missing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Asus PRO31S cd/DVD divice missing

I have been given this Particular laptop to fix. It currently has no OS installed and as such am in the process of trying to install Windows 7 Home premium I have tried Both 64 bit (as it has a 64 bit processor) and 32 bit each time I get past the first setup screen it says " Setup will begin shortly" or something like that. then comes up with a message saying that a CD/DVD device driver is missing and to load the driver before continuing.

Now of course this laptop did not come with a driver CD so I looked on the internet using different search terms the Asus website, the Intel website all to no avail. I have also come across Driver download software, this is of no use as they are .EXE files and can only be run under a pre-installed OS. I am completely out of ideas, can anyone else think of something I may have missed?

NB: this model has an T7300 Duo CPU

Linux Distro chooser

Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Asus PRO31S cd/DVD divice missing

Do you have another DVD drive you can switch to or an external that you can use?

Unless the DVDs are both bad, I'd say the DVD drive is bad.

Try getting a Ubuntu Boot-CD. See if it will load to the Linux desktop.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Asus PRO31S cd/DVD divice missing

I did what you suggested and used my External DVD ROM, and it installed fine. The thing is however that I actually used a Knoppix Live CD to see if the drive worked in the machine and it booted fine and was able to use the Live CD. but the windows install disks didn't Work. But as stated above when I put them (the windows disks) through my external DVD ROM it installed just fine. My working theory is the same as yours however that the drive is faulty.

Thank you for your help,

Linux Distro chooser

Closed Thread