Asus laptop, good buy?

carlitouus

Solid State Member
Asus laptop, good buy?$400-$600 Range

How you doing guys, sorry to bother again, but I recently purchased an asus laptop from BestBuy for $329($378 including taxes and a 4GB memory)

The model number is X401A-RGN ( Asus - 14" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Matte Lime Green - X401A-RGN4 ) and for the price and look(lime green color), it caught my interest. I was originally going for a mac book, but for the $1200 I was going to pay, I would've been able to afford 3 of the asus I purchased. What do you guys think? Price didn't really matter but I'm the kind of person who likes getting good deals.
Anyway, I need a laptop for college, business, stock trading, type documents, video streaming, and most of all, web browsing(search engines,etc).

Specifications:
*Intel® Pentium® processor B970
*Features a 1333MHz bus speed, 2MB L3 cache and 2.3GHz processor speed.
*4GB DDR3 memory
* Showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
* 320GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
* UMA graphics
For lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for flexible connectivity options.
*1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 port
*Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11n)
*With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
* Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

I haven't been on the latest tech for a while( I used to be a computer geek), so the processor is one of the things I am worried about. Is it a good processor or is it outdated?

Battery is really important(you can purchase external battery through the man.)
Speed is important as well. For the price, is there anything better? And if there is anything better for more, what's the best value laptop around? I wouldn't want to spend more than $500, otherwise I will just get a mac(which I don't want since I've been on windows my whole life.)

Thanks and sorry if i type too much.

Last edited:
Really nice laptop and looking good. this is high configure laptop and ou can play high configure games.thanks for sharing.

You get what you pay for... It's a basic web/office/school type system.

Today 2.3Ghz isn't fast, not really slow either, but it gets the job done. INFACT passMark ranks it just below my x9100 at 3.06Ghz.

It has a onboard video card, so real gamings out, but meh., its only 14".

I think for $330 its not bad at all.

Well I have 30 days to change my mind... I really needed it for school as all my books are now online... Thanks, well any suggestions ? I wouldn't purchase a laptop online, I would have to see it. Anything from BestBuy PC Richards, walmart or any popular stores that would carry something in the $500 range? I could go 600 if the deal is really good. 14" is a good size for college I think... but if anything a bit bigger, I wouldn't mind.

Matter of fact let's raise it up, $400-$700, how's that? If it's $700 it would have to be a good deal with a big upgrade(Comparing it to a $500). If not, I'd like to stick with the $500-$600.

Last edited:
Unless you really want to game, that system is great. The "lower" cpu sucks less power, same with the video card.

If you';re travelling alot around school, I'de invest in an inexpensive laptop, like the above, and a full size monitor, keyboard/mouse and a good quality usb drive to store everything, plus an OS backup.

My only suggestion is if you do go for the above system, the spacebar seems to be a common issue, so try it out.

Overall, i wouldnt spend over $500 for a school laptop.

Unless you really want to game, that system is great. The "lower" cpu sucks less power, same with the video card.

If you';re travelling alot around school, I'de invest in an inexpensive laptop, like the above, and a full size monitor, keyboard/mouse and a good quality usb drive to store everything, plus an OS backup.

My only suggestion is if you do go for the above system, the spacebar seems to be a common issue, so try it out.

Overall, i wouldnt spend over $500 for a school laptop.

Funny you said that, because mine does not have a problem at all... I type very fast so I do place good fingers on the keys. I type about 380 words a minute(count small ones, according to typing speed test), but even when I go easy it doesn't give me a problem, plus I lke the fact that the keys are well spaced out unlike my old dell.

I was thinking about going for a $500 laptop as the speed on this one seems to be a bit slower than my old one. Only problem so far is the speed but overall, nice laptop, design and their technology seems to be great.

Thanks and I will go back to best buy one of these days to see if there is a better laptop under $500.

Back
Top Bottom