Artistic needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So... I want a portable PC.. or laptop... or tablet.. but.. yeah.. ok let's first list the things I want to do.

I want to be able to draw on screen - the idea came from Wacom's tablet sketching.

here is the prime example :
Cintiq 12WX Product Overview

I would love this,but for that price I would hope to be detached from my PC and able to sketch at Denny's and such.

Then I thought.. let's take it a step further... I want to do my 3D stuff on it.. using Blender 3D studio and other programs like that...

So... my choices are limited... probably spend the $1000+ for the Cintiq 12WX and another $600+ for a laptop to have it plugged into..

The reason I came here is other options...

Can anyone think of a way I can use something like the Cintiq 12WX but without a laptop/PC to plugged into all the time? It would be nice to have a portable digital sketchbook and 3D modeling program....

Are Tablet PC's designed for this?
the Wacom's are top of the line in pressure sensative and stuff, and they have other tools you can buy like a Airbrush to digitally airbrush just like a real airbrush (literally it looks like your spraying it) I would love that kind of detail with my own hand to control it, I hate using a mouse to try and design stuff when it comes so much more naturally with my hand.

So I kinda want it close to that standard... otherwise for above $1000 (the cheapest tablet I can find, others are $1200+) range I might as well just get the Wacom and a "ok" Laptop to run with it.... kinda wanted "all in one" though.. if you know what I mean.. even if it only saved to microSD or something... (and yes I already wrote Wacom on this one, hoping they come out with an all in one model soon to sketch on the road and save to MicroSD slots....)

Oh and I would love to use the high tech pens and Cintiq Airbrush on anything else if possible - like a notebook PC - just as long as most of the features still exist... and it's total cost isn't that of $1500+

The tablet is just an input device, like a mouse.

According to the Wacom site it will work with Windows 2000, WinXP, WinXP x64, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit and Mac OS X. So as long as the notebook is running one of the above operating systems it should work.

I think I found a good middle ground (oh and the post was to try to find other things to use.. so I don't have to fork out so much dough... sorry for the confusion)

HP Pavilion TX2500Z

Apparently this laptop is styled for this type of thing, is has a decent 2.x GHz procc and space and like 3GB ram etc. Full touchscreen with Wacom support for pens and stuff so should be decent since Wacom is the top-of-the-line in it's field (although apparently only 1/2 the sensitivity as the 12 tablet I mentioned earlier)

Probably can't use the actual accessories for Wacom on it - but the included pen should suffice, plus I can always buy the $1000 tablet later when Iam rich and famous and use it with my HP lol....

Found some reasonably priced ones too.. but man was it tricky... lots of "touch screen" laptops that have no pen support.

There are other tablet on the market. However they don't come with the same sencitivity as the Wacom Cintiq 12WX. If you are serious about artwork, then you will find that the Tablet PC is going to be like using a stick to draw some thing in sand at the beach.

A stick to draw in the sand on a beach.. as compared to.. what.. exactly.. cuz that's all I use on the beach... it's a good tool.... lol.

Let's find some more options. Tablet PC with Penabled Wacom tech, I am trying to find a 512 point pressure sensitive one (the HP only has 256)

but price is very important, because if all else fails I can buy the HP for around $500 and the Cintiq 12.1 (with 1024 pressure) for $1,000 ish, making it a 1,500ish device - and I have seen some tablets that are runnin that range but only have 512 pressure sensitive- plus - with the 1500 cintiq 12wx combo - I get 2 touch enabled screens to work with... both 12.1inches, and a decent laptop (2.4ghz i think with 4Gb ram) Not that I plan to do hard gaming on it, but it seems capible of handling at least low graphics versions of games, even WoW. (plus the .n wireless networking)

some other companies have similar tablets... but yea.. what else can you guys find? cuz google is starting to do circles for me now, and I still haven't decided.

The modbook/modbook pro I think comes close to the desired results, but at over 2,000 .. my Dual setup would be better, although a bit bulkier to carry around (but hey, that's what carry bags were made for, right? not like I plan to stand with the thing and doodle, just sit at Denny's and stuff)

I just newegg'ed for Laptops (not even touch screens) to find something with 2.0ghz cpu and 4gb RAM and the results were expensive(on the lowest, a $120 over pricing of the HP) I know Ghz aren't everything but I really don't know how to rate Laptop CPU very well since there are so many models.

A stick to draw in the sand on a beach.. as compared to.. what.. exactly.. cuz that's all I use on the beach... it's a good tool.... lol..
Compared to having a proper artist tool. I don't think there is any Tablet PCs with 1024 pressure levels

I know this is technically necroing but through the last few hard weeks of thinking and all I have decided to get the cheaper touchscreen laptop - and later the cintiq touch screen to add on - it'll be like having 2 screens of the same size, both touch screen, to paint and draw, and that cuts out the need for keyboard while doing so - if I need to change music or hit a website - the laptop screen is also touch screen - so theres no delay or wait or conversion from the draw screen to the main screen.

The total cost will factor in about $1,500, but will have the insane amount of pressure sensitivity and the options to have Paintbrush tools and spray tools as well, which I have become more facinated with while seeing them in action.

Thanks for the input and all - I really appreciate it. once my work levels out and I find out if Ihave money I may show you some doodles ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom